How would i go about starting new pedigree

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you seen a pedigree?

So you have your rabbit. It has a name right? Do you know the names of it's parents and their colour? If not, that's fine.

So you document the name of your rabbit, gender, colour, date of birth.
you document the name of the opposite gendered rabbit, colour, date of birth name.

And offspring are the NEXT generation of your pedigree. Each rabbit gets their own pedigree (if you are putting a pedigree on each of them). You just continue documenting name, colour, gender, date of birth.

that's the basics.

It gets more complicated if you are crossing breeds.

So If I just had 2 purebred but not pedigreed rabbits when baby's come I'd just put the parents and the baby and then if I kept a baby the parents of that baby would be the grand parents of any baby's that came and I'd just put them as the grand parents and then put the parents and so on to continue on the pedigree would the opposite gender of what I didn't keep have to be pedigreed or how would I continue on with the pedigree

Have you seen a pedigree?

So you have your rabbit. It has a name right? Do you know the names of it's parents and their colour? If not, that's fine.

So you document the name of your rabbit, gender, colour, date of birth.
you document the name of the opposite gendered rabbit, colour, date of birth name.

And offspring are the NEXT generation of your pedigree. Each rabbit gets their own pedigree (if you are putting a pedigree on each of them). You just continue documenting name, colour, gender, date of birth.

that's the basics.

It gets more complicated if you are crossing breeds.
Yes I've seen a pedigree I have pedigreed rabbits I am just wondering about it cause I do have other purebred but non pedigreed rabbits that I would like to get pedigrees for baby's and trying to figure out how to do that correctly

In the pedigrees that I've seen there's the current rabbit and then about four generations after that

In the pedigrees that I've seen there's the current rabbit and then about four generations after that
Yes I've seen that too but I'm trying to out how to start a new pedigree with non pedigreed parents but start a pedigree with there baby's so that I'm the future after a few generations I will have created a full pedigree

Yes I've seen that too but I'm trying to out how to start a new pedigree with non pedigreed parents but start a pedigree with there baby's so that I'm the future after a few generations I will have created a full pedigree
@ladysown has told you exactly how. I’m in the same boat as you with my white pelted rew meat rabbits who are mixed with NZ/Cali. I’m now beginning to take the steps to genetically separate the two breeds and to keep notes on who is who, who is bred with who, who displays the strongest traits I am seeking for each breed, etc. I’m using Kintraks software to do this. It has a pedigree feature that will auto fill with the data inputted for each rabbit. You can get the software for free and to upgrade to the paid version is very cheap, but the free version does everything the paid version does. It’s just limited to a certain number of rabbits. Lastly, if you can get the sire and dam names for your starter rabbits (from whomever you got them), that will help tremendously because that will give you one more generation beyond the rabbits who are actually living in your herd. If my memory serves me correctly, ARBA requires only 3 generations on a pedigree (including weights) for individual rabbit registration so long as the rabbit meets the standards for the breed.

Okay, let me give you a real life example.

I had a doe I call blue No pedigree on her at all. I knew her mom was a broken blue and her dad black. I didn't know their names but honestly... it doesn't matter. Since both were neutered after kits were born so I just made up names for them, and since I had seen and held them I knew (after raising loppies for years) about how much they weighed so I guesstimated their weight. It DOES NOT need to be precise, just close. ARBA doesn't really care.

So blue had babies with BandStripe. I called a daughter I kept back BlueSpeck. So now I had

Blue Speck (doe, broken blue)......BandStripe (broken Chocolate).... And his full pedigree.....
...................................................................Blue........................................................ Her mom and dad

I bred Speck to BandSaw

Sold a couple of her kits to someone
SpeckLace
SawWing.............BandSaw (his full pedigree)
................................Blue Speck..........Bandstripe (his full pedigree)
................................................................Blue......Dad
...............................................................................Mom

So getting a three-generation pedigree is SUPER easy.

All you need to do is keep good records.
Using an inexpensive program like Kintraks where you can name your rabbits whatever you want

Such as HollandLop-Netherland Dwarf cross F1 Makes it really easy to track what and where you are in your breeding goals.

I know of people ( I used to be one of them ) who did this all using an excel type program.
Others do it all on paper or print off blank pedigrees online Or have a notebook they use.

Honestly... kintraks makes it super easy and for $20 (that's what it cost me) why not let them do the legwork?

Okay, let me give you a real life example.

I had a doe I call blue No pedigree on her at all. I knew her mom was a broken blue and her dad black. I didn't know their names but honestly... it doesn't matter. Since both were neutered after kits were born so I just made up names for them, and since I had seen and held them I knew (after raising loppies for years) about how much they weighed so I guesstimated their weight. It DOES NOT need to be precise, just close. ARBA doesn't really care.

So blue had babies with BandStripe. I called a daughter I kept back BlueSpeck. So now I had

Blue Speck (doe, broken blue)......BandStripe (broken Chocolate).... And his full pedigree.....
...................................................................Blue........................................................ Her mom and dad

I bred Speck to BandSaw

Sold a couple of her kits to someone
SpeckLace
SawWing.............BandSaw (his full pedigree)
................................Blue Speck..........Bandstripe (his full pedigree)
................................................................Blue......Dad
...............................................................................Mom

So getting a three-generation pedigree is SUPER easy.

All you need to do is keep good records.
Using an inexpensive program like Kintraks where you can name your rabbits whatever you want

Such as HollandLop-Netherland Dwarf cross F1 Makes it really easy to track what and where you are in your breeding goals.

I know of people ( I used to be one of them ) who did this all using an excel type program.
Others do it all on paper or print off blank pedigrees online Or have a notebook they use.

Honestly... kintraks makes it super easy and for $20 (that's what it cost me) why not let them do the legwork?
Okay thank you

Building a pedigree takes a bit of time as you want. To have generations to write down. It's like keeping a genealogy " family tree" so to speak. If a rabbit you own , you have no background information for you must wait until you build the information.if this makes sense. I hope it does but if it doesn't just ask me and I'll try to help more.

Please don't guesstimate weights and put them on a pedigree. Only put what you know to be factual. Weight is important. When I'm looking at a rabbit I'm interested in buying, say a Rex, and I see lots of rabbits on its pedigree that are barely meeting the minimum weight I'm probably going to pass on that rabbit.

Please don't guesstimate weights and put them on a pedigree. Only put what you know to be factual. Weight is important. When I'm looking at a rabbit I'm interested in buying, say a Rex, and I see lots of rabbits on its pedigree that are barely meeting the minimum weight I'm probably going to pass on that rabbit.
No I wasn't planning on guessing on there weights I have a scale to weigh them

I should add in... if you are wanting a fully pedigreed herd it means removing non-pedigreed rabbits as you go. With holland lops, I can have a fully pedigreed rabbit in about a year and a bit. And then I remove parents/grandparents as each successive generation is proven. With meat rabbits, it generally takes about two years depending on how aggressively I breed each generation.

How important is an ear tattoo in building a pedigree?
If you want a pedigree that the ARBA will accept for registration purposes, you need the name and/or tattoo number (you don't absolutely need both), the variety, and the adult weight for each ancestor for three generations back (parents, grandparents and great-grandparents).
As Rockyhill rabbits noted, it's important to be accurate, so getting a "real" weight is as important as identifying the color correctly; in fact, for meat breeds or minis, it may be even more important.

Back