How to transition to 'fresh' feed and hay?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass

Reaction score
I got my first rabbits FRIDAY! All three had previously been on pellet-only diets. They're transitioning to 'my brand' of pellets and I've also given them each a little hay, two raisins, a few shreds of carrot and 2 dandelions and 2 dandelion leaves each.

My questions are as follows:

1.) How much hay can I safely give them immediately? Can they 'immediately' transition to free choice hay? It is a grass mix (including timothy) as well as trefoil and some clover.

2.) How much/many greens should I begin to give them and how quickly do I up their ration? I'd like to start with easily identifiable plants/greens such as dandelion, grass, clover, carrot shreds, etc.

3.) I'd like to feed BOSS. How do I wean them on to this? Just a few seeds at a time?

Hay in any amount is fine. For the rest, you are doing it just as you should. :)

When I started my natural feeding experiment, I would first feed everyone hay which took me about twenty minutes or so with the amount of holes I had at the time. I would then go gather weeds and greens and feed those once they had sated themselves on the hay a bit.

The important thing is to increase your quantities slowly and introduce new foods one at a time. Give them a few days on the new green and then offer something new.

Be especially cautious with the brassica family because it can cause gas. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard are some of the plants in that family. We have an abundance of wild mustard here, and that was a large part of my rabbit's diet and they never had any trouble with it. MaggieJ also feeds mainly cabbage as her herd's fresh green in winter since it stores well and is an economical choice.

In the winter the bulk of their diet will be hay, grains, and dried weeds. As spring progresses transitioning them back onto fresh feed is simple because of course your harvest will be slim at first, and by the time it is bountiful the rabbits will have adjusted to it again.

I think that within 10-14 days my rabbits were getting huge piles of greens with no ill effects. Just watch for signs of loose stools, and cut back the amount if necessary.

Sweet foods like carrot, apple, sweet potato, banana, etc. should be considered "rabbit candy" and given as a treat only. Some people just give those once or twice a week, but you could also give each rabbit about a tablespoon (or two) sized portion daily as a kind of dessert. :)

MamaSheepdog":1u015j4v said:
Hay in any amount is fine. For the rest, you are doing it just as you should. :)

When I started my natural feeding experiment, I would first feed everyone hay which took me about twenty minutes or so with the amount of holes I had at the time. I would then go gather weeds and greens and feed those once they had sated themselves on the hay a bit.

The important thing is to increase your quantities slowly and introduce new foods one at a time. Give them a few days on the new green and then offer something new.

Be especially cautious with the brassica family because it can cause gas. Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and mustard are some of the plants in that family. We have an abundance of wild mustard here, and that was a large part of my rabbit's diet and they never had any trouble with it. MaggieJ also feeds mainly cabbage as her herd's fresh green in winter since it stores well and is an economical choice.

In the winter the bulk of their diet will be hay, grains, and dried weeds. As spring progresses transitioning them back onto fresh feed is simple because of course your harvest will be slim at first, and by the time it is bountiful the rabbits will have adjusted to it again.

I think that within 10-14 days my rabbits were getting huge piles of greens with no ill effects. Just watch for signs of loose stools, and cut back the amount if necessary.

Sweet foods like carrot, apple, sweet potato, banana, etc. should be considered "rabbit candy" and given as a treat only. Some people just give those once or twice a week, but you could also give each rabbit about a tablespoon (or two) sized portion daily as a kind of dessert. :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH! This was INCREDIBLY helpful. I keep thinking "oh it's just a couple dandelion" and then I remember they're little guys! LOL.

So far they LOVE their hay. They're not eating as many pellets as I would expect but I assume that's because they may be preferring the hay? Their poop is looking good as far as I can tell. They appear to be firm round pellets.

As always, I agree with MSD. I just wanted to add a couple of my "go to" greens that the buns all love- wild blackberry leaves, wild rose leaves, and apple leaves and branches. These all get fed to mine in decently large amounts. The apple branches have the added benefit of helping keep their teeth trimmed.

I just cut a 6 inch length of a medium thick branch and plop it in the cage. The next day, it is usually completely stripped of all its bark and any leaves. I add the branch pieces once every other week or so.

I was rushed this morning so didn't get around to replying to this topic until now... and I see that MamaSheepdog has done such a wonderful job of it that I really have nothing to add except a reminder to provide a trace mineral salt block. I use the reddish brown ones for general livestock but I believe some people use the ones for goats. I buy a 4 pound block and knock chunks off with a hammer.

Latest posts

Back