How to tell? *PICS*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyPocket

Reaction score
Hello everybunny.

I know I will be asked for it, and I will upload pics, as soon as I visit the rabbitry in the morning.

So. We had three of my parents' does delivere and ended up with 16 wiggly kits. Few Fawns, bunch of Himis, some Blacks, both solid and broken... One of the does, Sivka, had her first litter about a year ago, and she had a beautiful Black Otter. She is Black Chinchilla and the sire of that litter and current litter is our buck Klempo, broken Black Chestnut. The Otter thing happened only once and never again, either in her litters or her daughters'. When I checked her nest yesterday I saw 6 babies, one of which was a runt and passed sometimes during last night. Three of the babies seemed Black, one white (probably Himi) and one Fawn (two if counting the runtie). Now, I did a better check today and noticed one of the "Blacks" is in fact a heavily broken Black/Black Chin (I find it too bluesih to be Chestnut - is it just me or Chesnut kits have greenish cast beofre their fur starts coming out?). The other two babies are also bluesih, but one is lighter (my guess would be Chin) and the darker one has light spot on it's neck and more prominent lines between black back and white belly. My question is; Is there a way to tell Otter/Marten from Chinchilla kits? I know I'm probably gonna be able to tell in few days, but i would like to hear any tips on how to tell at early stage for future litters. Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

-Marko

Blueish (Chin) kit on the leaft and darker (?Otter?) kit on the right.

Otter, marten and tans are self (no ring pattern) on the saddle/back area and agouti on the belly and points

On kits, those with the tan gene look like darker chestnuts that never lighten on their saddle but it can take 10 days of fur growth to really notice a difference.

Back