How to tell from home if my bunny is neutered?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stemnyj

Reaction score
Is there any way I can tell from home whether or not my bunny is neutered?

I might need a little extra advice regarding how to hold him to check for this while by myself... I read through the post about sexing your bunny, but I still couldn't manage to hold him still long enough to check without him kicking, and I didn't want him to hurt himself. I'm only assuming he's male, because a friend of mine whose parents had bunnies when she was small checked... but from what I saw, she didn't seem to get a great look at it, and I'm still unsure whether or not he really is male.

Thanks guys!

I am very doubtful that he is neutered- the surgery is quite expensive in most areas. Eventually you will be able to see testicles if it is a male. Judging by your rabbit's head, I think it likely is a boy. :)

To "flip" your rabbit, put him on a solid surface and slide your index finger between his ears, grip the base of one ear between that and your thumb, and use the other fingers to grasp his neck and shoulders. Put your other hand on his rump and slide it toward his head while at the same time pulling him over backward. If you hold his head lower than the level of his rump he will be more calm. If he struggles, blow on his nose. You can either have the table support him or hold him in your arms, whichever is most comfortable for you.

If you can't quite manage that, sit down and place him on your lap. Using the same head and ear hold, move him into an upright position with his back along one of your arms. Use that hand to support his rump so his hind legs are no longer on your lap, similar to how you might cradle an infant in your arm. You can then use your free hand to check his "parts".

Good luck! :clover:

Latest posts

Back