how to regain weight?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiL

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks!

So, I am considering showing a few of my rabbits at the West Coast Classic coming up in two weeks in Reno. I was checking out my potential show bunnies, and noticed that the slimming campaign that I've been waging on my Champagne d'Argent herd sire (he was not so into the ladies, I attributed it to being a bit pudgy) has worked well - too well! He went from 9.5 pounds last summer to only 8.4 pounds right now; he's less than 2 years old and seems in great shape, the low weight is not due to being sick. He needs to make 9 pounds in two weeks to not get disqualified, right?

Any tips to build him up? Is it even possible to add that much in such a short time? I bet it would only take as much pellets as he wants, my Champagnes do seem to be able to live on air and dew, but still, he needs to gain pretty quick. I could easily feed him some black oil sunflower seed in addition to more pellets.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Jessi

I'm sure that others with more experience will chime in - but the following is from my research:

Do you free feed hay? I read on a breeders site that the more hay/water a rabbit consumes, the faster their digestion moves, and the faster their digestion moves, the more they eat, the more they gain weight. We've been free feeding hay (they each go through about 75% of a stuffed 11" hay rack every day, normal? I don't know) along with digestive support herbs once a week, and we note that our does actually eat more (from month 3 to 4) and had pretty fast weight gain in that one month period (2.25 pounds on the smallest). Granted, they were still growing, but it seems that all three of our rabbits eat more pellets (17% protein, alfalfa based) than what I've read about other peoples' rabbits. Also, people say if you put 2 T of OACV in their water per gallon, the rabbits will drink more water because they like the taste (it also aids digestion), which as noted above, can help them digest food faster. I don't know if it's normal (seems high to us) but our rabbits each go through a 1/2 gallon of water every two days, sometimes just a bit faster).

Oats - 1-2 T/day can put weight on
canned pumpkin
BOSS (as you mentioned)
Dill - can increase appetite
Nettle (urtica dioica) aids in poor appetite and is a fattener
Fenugreek - fattening in cases of wasting - not for pregnant does

These are just ideas from my research, for you to research and consider. Of course, I'm not suggesting that you give the bun ALL of these things, I'm just brainstorming. ;)

Thanks for the ideas, Comet.

I have a strategy - he will move back into a more typical all-wire hanging cage, off pasture. He'll get a ton of pellets and a little bit of black oil sunflower seed, maybe some oats. Probably rolled oats instead of the whole oats I use at weaning time, not as much pesky fiber to fill him up without adding weight. And that should do it - my Champagnes seem to gain weight so easily, it's ridiculous.

Still, any other ideas would be welcomed!

- Jessi

Latest posts

Back