how to pick up a rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i see were its been talked about every were online on how to pick up a rabbit and i know there is more then one way to do so with out harming the rabbit im new to rabbits in a way as to keeping and breeding rabbits but had a few rabbits as pets growing up but that was about 12 years ago i was just wanting some of the proper ways to pick up a rabbit with out causeing them any harm i have medium sized rabbits so if any of you could post the way you do it i could then try them out and pick the one that works best for me thanks :?:

Go to "Rabbit Care" and look at the post entitled "Fertility and Holding Question"- we discussed your question pretty extensively there a while back.

Oh please don't pick them up by the "scruff of the neck" doe's do not carry kits like that, if they have to move them they prefer to encourage the kit to crawl after her.<br /><br />__________ 22 Dec 2011, 18:44 __________<br /><br />And if that dosn't convince you check out your does front teeth would you want to be picked up by that?

Scruff of the neck seems to be more of an old wives tale of a thing. Cats and dogs do it, why no say rabbits do to? Ignorance.
But honestly, some rabbits, it's the only way to get them up and out w/o loosing skin. Then again, they can still tear you apart w/the back feet. So you need to get as much skin area w/your hand, hoist them up and out fast, then tuck them under your arm like a football.
Obviously if they are pets or you have the time, you can lift them like a baby, hands under the armpits. Then put them on your chest, one arm under them and the free hand on their back to keep them stable.

Bramble Hedge":15pvk89t said:
Oh please don't pick them up by the "scruff of the neck" doe's do not carry kits like that, if they have to move them they prefer to encourage the kit to crawl after her.

__________ 22 Dec 2011, 18:44 __________

And if that dosn't convince you check out your does front teeth would you want to be picked up by that?

Bramble, let's be clear to make a distinction between picking up ONLY by the scruff (which is BAD BAD BAD!) and HOLDING the scruff and supporting with second hand under the rump. (I use this all the time with some of my rabbits) There is a big difference between the two...

I agree with chickies...scruff of the neck with a hand scooping under their butt and I am scratched much less than any other method. I do have a couple I can just put a hand under their belly and lift until they are out so I can support their feet. And one I can tap on the butt and he'll come out of his cage for me. But really...most don't like to be lifted in any manner (in my house) lol.

I've been using JWQ's method of gripping the shoulders. I slide my other hand as far back under their bellies as I can, keeping my hand in front of their haunches. They've gotten to be really good about it, and most don't kick. I still have a couple that go ballistic and I have to scruff those. I've taken to wearing neoprene garden gloves and my quilted flannel jacket when moving them, since Hubs was making jokes about me being a "cutter"!

MamaSheepdog":2lofnrph said:
I've been using JWQ's method of gripping the shoulders. I slide my other hand as far back under their bellies as I can, keeping my hand in front of their haunches. They've gotten to be really good about it, and most don't kick. I still have a couple that go ballistic and I have to scruff those. I've taken to wearing neoprene garden gloves and my quilted flannel jacket when moving them, since Hubs was making jokes about me being a "cutter"!

I am still unable to visualize "gripping the shoulders"...I need pictures!!!!

Totally agree OneAcreFarm and I was referring to 'pick them up by the "scruff of the neck"' and not 'HOLDING the scruff' I thought I had adequately explained, I apologize.

Bramble Hedge":3ukh6hlw said:
Totally agree OneAcreFarm and I was referring to 'pick them up by the "scruff of the neck"' and not 'HOLDING the scruff' I thought I had adequately explained, I apologize.

No apology necessary, I knew that was what you meat....I was just clarifying for the OP!

No worries!

MamaSheepdog":16z7bhw1 said:

Hey even i use gloves on some rabbits..but if you look at most judges they wear long sleves or arm guards cause some rabbits will cut ya even with nails cut to the best of your ability. I think some rabbits take gettin used to my method but as you have seen your rabbits have been gettin good about it..there will always be those rabbits that are shy and dont want to be picked up and kick all over the place though.
I have also gotten teased about bein a cutter :roll: LOL :lol:

OneAcreFarm":16z7bhw1 said:
I am still unable to visualize "gripping the shoulders"...I need pictures!!!!

Sorry I never got pics on here..i just havnt had the time! it takes forever cuz i gotta size them down then put them on photobucket then make sure they are the right size and then put em on here..

Back