how to over win a rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmabb

Reaction score
I just bought a beautiful pair of pedigree mini rexes. The buck is friendly enough to let me rub/scratch his nose. I'm happy with that. :D But my doe is hand shy and runs to the back of the cage when I open the door. :cry: How can I get her to be more hand friendly and at least let me rub/scratch her nose. :? :? :? Got any special tricks to help a rabbit like this? :?: :?:

Leave her for a week. Feed, water, drop treats through the bars (horse treats work great except butterscotch flavor for some reason), and otherwise just do enough to keep an eye on her condition. Many rabbits are completely stressed by a new location and person and just need time. Then try opening the cage and offering treats or petting slowly and limited. Once or twice a day while checking on them not bothering her every few hours. Eventually most will be eager for their dinner and for treats and come running to the front because they recognize you without having to really do anything special. Just bring the food and don't try to handle them too quickly so they don't get more scared.

give her time. like akane says...just give her time. She may come around, she may remain somewhat reclusive...give her time to show you what she's like.

My mini rex doe LOVES Trix cereal :D She comes running when I bring her some.

Time, treats and patience...*sigh* I know, that last one is the hardest. She will come around, just keep talking softly to her, but don't mess with her for a few days.

JessicaR":2ta6t3eh said:
My mini rex doe LOVES Trix cereal :D She comes running when I bring her some.

"Silly rabbit! Trix are for kids!" (Okay, how many remember that commercial?)

I agree with the other posters. Time, patience, treats and sweet talk. No pressure.

I defer to the more seasoned RT'ers, but I'd like to offer my recent experience as a different approach:

Recall I just had that show to prep bunnies for. I had to take them out and give them a good rub down after misting them with water to get all their shedding hair out and generally condition them. I would "scratch" their little bunny-butts, since that's where most of the trapped fur was, and rubbed them firmly in the opposite direction of the fur, then back towards the tail, over and over and over again, for about 5 to 10 minutes a day. It was a bunny massage. :D

When first removed from the cage to the grooming table, I could tell they were nervous because they were kind of stiff. But after a little bit of bunny-massage, they loosened up and were easy to move into the "show pose". When I put them back in their cage, I made sure to continue to pet them and get them to relax again before I let them go. I always gave them a horse cookie after they were safely 'home' again too. I noticed improvement after as little as one time grooming them, but some took a bit longer. Now when I open their doors, most of them come up for pets and have stopped running to the back of the cage.

I would let her settle in for a few days as everyone suggests, and sweet talk her a lot. But if you get impatient, you might give her a good rubdown and then sit on the couch or your bed with her for a while and pet her face and ears, letting her hop back and forth as she likes for a while, and offering treats when she comes back to visit. When you put her back in her cage make sure you don't let her run off immediately- you want her to know that having your hands on her feels good when she's 'at home' too! Then give her a treat and leave her alone.

Latest posts

Back