how to modify a feeder to prevent feed scratching

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner1965

Reaction score
has anyone here modified a regular galvinized cage mount rabbit feeder to prevent rabbits from scractching feed out on the ground? it seems like ive read somewhere you could drill some holes and run small bolts or wires thru lenghtwise in the tray to allow them to eat but not get thier paws in to dig the food out. any help or pics would be appreciated.

I've never seen any of my rabbits scratch at their feeders. The only loss I have is the fines that fall through, and I feed those to my other livestock. Since I no longer feed pellets, the fines consist of grains and beet pulp shreds.

We do have a lot of waste hay, but that too is fed to other livestock. The waste that is unfit for consumption gets sheet composted, building new garden beds.

Fit a small piece of cage wire into the [J] part of the feeder
this will allow them to eat but inhibit their scrabbling capabilities.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

yesterday i modified 1 feeder by drilling two holes, one on each side of the j part of the feeder and running a long 1/4 in bolt lengthwise thru the feed tray about a 1.5 inches from the bottom.the doe is still trying to scrabble in the tray but a much, much lesser amount of feed is on the ground than usual.when i get time i will try ottersatins advice of a piece of cage wire in the tray and see how that works.<br /><br />__________ Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:36 pm __________<br /><br />i checked the doe a couple times today and the feed waste has almost compltely stopped. im calling the modification a sucess!normally after feeding time i can sit on the porch and hear the pellets ringing off the tin manure collector. tonite nothing.i did the mod on another does cage that was scrabbleing and the pellets under her cage have dissapeared also.

Back