how to improve weight gain

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfarm

Reaction score
So I have rabbits from different sources and a few different breeds (Californians, New Zealands, Rex, and a pair of Americans). Right now the oldest litters I have are pure Californians and the babies are not gaining as fast as I would like to see. The parents have good meat body types. These are the first litters for these 2, I don't know if that makes a difference. How is the best way to go about improving there growth rate? I plan to keep some of the does from the litters and see if I can get some improved litters from the offspring. I don't know a different feed would make a difference, or maybe the next litter will be better since this is their first. I have them both bred again so they will be having another litter in about 1.5 weeks.

I get good growth by feeding 18% protein,Free feeding grow outs.and nursing does...adding some BOSS and dry oatmeal. Always have grass hay and water too. Some here use calf mana but I have never used it.
Have you been weighing the kits and charting the weights? some have found that helpful and there is a few threads on how to do it..

Introducing calf manna to growing fryers is more often a disaster than helpful. If the doe was already on it they might take it better.

Feed changes at that age that cause ANY gi upset can cost you weeks of growth.
That said,
The very best growth seems to come from optimum conditions and good genetics.
I've been getting 5 lbs between 8 and 9 weeks from one doe, and her sister takes 12 weeks to get her's that size. :? Genetics makes that big of a difference, or perhaps it was because she favored a different buck?
All I know is that she has 9 big fryers on her now, and her sis only has 7, and they're smaller. I guess I know who the keeper is...

I feed 16% protein pellets, weedy grass hay, 16% protein alfalfa cubes (some are only 13%), pumpkin seeds, boss(to lactating does, as it causes cecal overproduction in my fryers), oats to weanlings and fryers, herbs and greens to lactating does...Who knows what else. I feel that variety helps the does a lot.

I free feed nursing does, and make sure everyone has enough water! Up here in the north, my growth seems to be slowed due to limited water availability.

Growth rate is mostly controlled by genetics if you've ruled out disease/parasites/enviroment
-does have litters with a lower birth weight
-does don't produce enough milk for kits to grow well
-kits are genetically slow growers and take longer to reach senior weight (which is why it doesn't matter that their parents are the "right size" as it could of taken them 12 months to do so :)

Kits won't grow as fast if they need to keep warm or cool themselves. I believe the ideal year round temperature for rabbit barns is 60'F

Parasites and disease will slow growth as the kits cannot adequately absorb nutrients through damaged intestines or must spend resources on fighting infections

Your best bet is to select kits who are growing fast and use them as replacemt stock - keep the best and eat the rest :). You'd be surprised how quickly you can improve your stock with this method

I just removed the nest box of the older litter and have started giving them a bowl of whole oats, and it seems to be helping. I haven't really been tracking their weight, I am not very good at record keeping.

If your Rabbits need to gain a little weight,
just slip a few Rocks into their pockets!
Oh, yeah, first you have to find their pockets.
They're very good at hiding them!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":3i62mnwo said:
If your Rabbits need to gain a little weight,
just slip a few Rocks into their pockets!
Oh, yeah, first you have to find their pockets.
They're very good at hiding them!

:lol: That is just too funny!
I did notice in the 2 that have litters right now that one had a lot more milk from the start and that litter seems to be gaining weight better. When they have their next litters (which won't be long) I am going to try and do some things to help make sure doe one has better milk production (oats, lots of water, parsley when she has them). Thanks for all the responses everyone! :)

When I have a Doe with a very large litter,
like ten or more. I will give them some twice toasted [whole grain] bread
soaked in milk. It seems to help with their milk production.
However, I may just be simply out of my MIND and
SEEING exactly what I want to see!
When in doubt, try anything!

Latest posts

Back