How to handle sales requests

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been getting some requests here and there that I sell some rabbits for meat. I understand that people want the meat, but the laws on selling aren't geared toward the individual.

So far, I've just told the folks that I can't sell processed rabbits, but could sell a live one. These aren't city folks who think meat comes from the grocery store, but are actual real people that see or even raise livestock of their own. They still don't care for the idea of butchering a rabbit themselves.

This morning I got another of these requests and the guy seemed surprised that all of my meat goes into my own freezer. He really seemed to want some rabbit meat.

I don't need the money, so it's not really a consideration. I don't want to put any effort into loopholes that allow me to sell under the radar. I'd like to share, but it seems like giving it away would set a bad precedence. On the other hand, I have a commercial freezer that's so full, I have to put the pelts I was saving in the trash just to make room for today's processing.

I'm not sure what to ask for in exchange for a few frozen rabbits. Feed would be obvious, but I don't want to put financial pressure on them either. Should I ask for dandelions, sunflowers, veggies, etc?

I guess I'm just confused and thinking out loud. I can't think of a greater feeling than sharing a hand raised crop, be it zucchini, tomatoes or rabbits.

We always have people buy the rabbit live and then "offer the service of processing", meaning we just figure the cost of processing in with the live animal price.

TMTex":1kriofdr said:
On the other hand, I have a commercial freezer that's so full, I have to put the pelts I was saving in the trash just to make room for today's processing.

I'm not sure what to ask for in exchange for a few frozen rabbits. Feed would be obvious, but I don't want to put financial pressure on them either. Should I ask for dandelions, sunflowers, veggies, etc?

There are members of this forum who could possibly help take those pelts off your hands and keep them from going into the garbage. Please see the thread on making a rabbit-skin blanket: primitive-rabbit-skin-blanket-directions-t17504.html

Thank you.

Thanks, Cattle Cait! I'm not sure how I'd approach that, but I'll try to work it into any future requests. There are farmers that sell rabbit meat at the farmer's market here and I don't want to undercut them either. I'll have to check with them to set a reasonable price.

That's a good idea, DogCatMom. I'll be processing 4 or 5 this evening and can set those pelts in the freezer for now. Maybe someone will want those for a project like that. These will be roasters, about 3 1/2 to 4 months old. All are pure white Cali or Cali/NZW mixes.

Unfortunately, the last round of pelts (about 40 or so) went out with the trash already. But those were fryers and the pelts might have been too thin.

Everyone here just sells the rabbit and then offers to process it with their own so you are processing a rabbit owned by someone else not selling the meat. Whether you want to charge a rabbit fee and then a process fee out of trade items or just charge them all at once is your choice. I have my friend take it out of my tuition fee for her martial arts school.

Latest posts

Back