How to handle rabbits that "CARRY" illness

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have a doe who threw a kit with Wry Neck.

So how do you treat the doe?

I breed for health first.

How do you treat a rabbit that does not have an active infection, but can spread it to others? If it were pasturella it would be an easy decision, but this one is "not everyone exposed will get it or carry it" type of disease.

Do you cull? it's not a problem (though it will BITE for my breeding program) but I want to think long term.

She's perfectly healthy if you look at her. And two of the three kits are very healthy active babies, just the one and it's responding to treatment. Though I wonder about treating it as long term, will that be the best thing for it? Especially when I read about rabbits needing to be treated repeatedly for wry neck OR for a very long time to eradicate it.

So collective wisdom is being sought.

I didn't really find that helpful in assisting me in making a decision though.... Just told me that cause varies.

She's from my herd. Her mother is gone, and never threw a problem kit. Her mother had five litters with me and nary a problem with any of them.

Her first litter, have not kept any kits from her. She's just a young doe.

In that case, E. cuniculi is likely endemic in your herd and this kit is just weak - could its poor immune system be due to inbreeding depression?

Isn't E. Cuniculi a parasite (protozoan) like Cocci?

I would cull a kit with head tilt or with a weak immune system but wouldn't cull the parents right away. Do you do any preventive deworming?

I have been looking at preventative deworming, but all the info I find suggests to see the vet and that there are different treatments for different types of worms. Isn't there anything (like garlic, ACV, or some type of essential oil) that is safe and could be used preventatively, without all that fuss? If I was in this situation, knowing what the grand-Doe had thrown, I would definitely keep an eye out but not cull the parents. Our program is different than some tho. We have a small pet operation, so we are more apt to deal with small problems, even though overall health is highly important. I appreciate knowing the family history and temperaments of the animals, so that is also worth a lot, especially when the issue that you are facing could be an isolated incident.

There are other causes of wry neck as it is a symptom and not a specific disease but if he is responding to E. cuniculi treatment then that is the cause and not an inner ear infection or tapeworm cyst or tumor or other neurological problem

E. cuni is actually a protozoa like fungus, or a fungus like protozoa :) and not an intestinal worm/nematode

it's hard to say. seemed he was improving, but now he's not.

but I don't know what else to think it is. nothing else makes sense. Too young to be an ear issue. Rest of the rabbits are fine. Just a wee kit yet. Doesn't appear to be injured, gets around, just has his head on a slant.

Just bites as the doe is a lovely young thing...
But I'll let her raise out the younglings and then send her on her way.... just bites.

Maybe I should just get out of holland lops altogether..... they are the ONLY breed that causes me problems and I do sufficient out-crosses for it not to be a genetic failing.

Just drives me nuts. You beat back one thing, have a couple good years and then something else pops up that ONLY affects them. Same feed across the board...

Back