How to get rid of wasps?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
We have three active mud-dauber wasp nests in our rabbit shed, behind the cages. Thankfully, they haven't bothered us or the bunnies, but I don't want to take the chance, and would really like to get rid of them. What can we do without risking our rabbits? The shed is made of wooden latticework, so it's not completely enclosed.

Mud daubers are one of the least aggressive wasp species, I've handled them without a worry and their sting is very mild. They also eat quite a few pest insects as well as feed spiders to their young.

If you still want them gone then simply scrape the nests off when the parent is out foraging, they are not very protective of their nests even if they come back.

You can spray the surface with a deterant such as citronella, tea tree or other essential oil mixed with hot water or a pesticide like cypermethrin to prevent them re-building in that spot.

I have a ton of those mud dauber nests everywhere, never see the wasps...
Also have tons of evil paper wasp nests over run with wasps...They see me from 20ft away and watch me the whole time I'm near by....They only attack when I forget they are there and whack a wall with a broom or something...I use Spectracide, wasp & hornet spray from Lowes. NOTHING else kills them like that spray does. I move the hay and animals out, spray nests and wait a day before sweeping and moving everything back.

You can use peppermint essential oil as well. It won't kill them, but it will repel them. I would mix some in some water and spray with a spray bottle.

I do agree with Dood too, though. We need our pollinators (wasps do pollinate) and its great that they get rid of pest species, so I would leave them unless they pose an immediate risk.

Thanks for the info. I don't care if they build elsewhere around the yard (fence, outside of the house, etc.). I just don't want them in the rabbitry or near the doors of the house and garage. I will try one of the essential oils to deter them. The one nest that I got a really good look at had 5-6 wasps in it. I assumed they were all adults, but maybe not.

Mud daubers are solitary meaning one female looks after a bunch of eggs/larva each in their own mud tunnel and stuffed full of spiders for the larva to eat. The tunnel is capped and the larva turns into an adult, hatches and flys away to make their own families. So if there were several wasp there they were new hatchlings leaving their mud nest to build their own.

Dood":30jq1bzz said:
Mud daubers are one of the least aggressive wasp species, I've handled them without a worry and their sting is very mild. They also eat quite a few pest insects as well as feed spiders to their young.
I think wasps are a little like plants in that different areas call them different things. Our "mud daubers" are pretty evil creatures, only slightly less Berserker than hornets. I get them eradicated immediately.

We do have a somewhat nocturnal wasp that I've heard some refer to as "mud daubers" - they're an iridescent green-black and very docile, although they move in groups. They're more an annoyance than anything, and I've never heard of them stinging anyone.

Latest posts

Back