How to get "lots of colours"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dood

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I was torn on whether to put this post under "Hopping Mad" or "Colour Genetics" but figured it is a common enough question that I should put it here :shrug:

I had a very "heated" discussion with a young lady wanting to get into rabbit breeding - she wanted two rabbits that would produce "lots of different colours" so I pointed out that not all colours are showable and she clarified that she was only breeding for pets - which is fine, I dont show my rabbits

So I pressed her for what traits she wanted in her pet bunnies and she said she didn't care as long as there was a wide variety of colours for people to choose from, and couldn't I just pick out two rabbits and she'd give me my money and go? :shock:
:explode: Ummm... no .... I don't just sell rabbits to anyone and I have a few questions and if she didn't like my questions she could buy her bunnies at a pet store !

She then tells me she already went to several pet stores and the staff didn't know anything about rabbit colours, which is why she came to a rabbit breeder, but she's bought pellets and treats and a "huge cage" (18x24) :groooan:

Needless to say I sent her on her way and recommend she do some research on rabbit husbandry, cage and nutrition requirements, inherited and non-inherited diseases, colour genetics etc... and to maybe contact me after she has learned that the proper breeding of rabbits is more than just putting a boy bunny and a girl bunny in an 18x24 cage for the rest of their lives !!!

But by her attitude I'm likely :bdh:

So for future reference if anyone wants "lots of colours" in their kits they should breed this

- Aa Bb Cch Dd Ee ENen Vv

to this

- aa bb cchd cchl dd ee enen Vv

:thankyou:

:money: :chair:

Dood..... do you have a set of Aa Bb Cch Dd ENen Vv and aa bb cchd cchl dd ee enen Vv I could buy from you? Yeesh, I'll just give you the money and I'll stick them in my closet......

(thank you for edjumatcating more of the ignorant public...)

The problem with Es is that it will hide more colors than it will produce.
So IMO someone looking for variety is better off without it.

In my local classifieds, somebody has a "mated pair" for sale.
"They are not to be separated, because they have mated and are expected babies".

Seriously :|

That's a bit along the lines of the local pet/rescue rabbit lady around here. She's been breeding rabbits for "30 plus years" and she told me when I rescued the "weaned 3 week old Flemish kit" from her to make sure to have her spayed if she was going to be a house bunny "so she doesn't menstruated everywhere". I tried to argue the point, but since she's been breeding for 30 years and I had only been breeding two years at that point, I was just the poor uneducated girl giving people bad information. :wall:

She also had a lion head mix that she was trying to sell me as a pure angora. I tried to explain to her that I breed French Angoras and am familiar with the other angora breeds as well, and that what she had was a lion head cross, but she wouldn't hear it. Even advertised the kits as angoras when she bred him to a Dutch later that spring.

Needless to say she went on the list of 'do not recommend' for those people who ask me where they could get good rabbits from...

Some people just deserve the ....

Facepalm3.jpg

Back