How to get a litter with red blue white black and brown?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok. I am still a genetics novice. I would need red, bit that would also cover agouti browns, right? So thr blue wuld supply black as well as blue... what else would I need? Some albino for whites. Which colors would I choose to continue? Maybe blue with abino behind it x chestnut out of red and blue? Or red x ?

How to get a litter with red blue white black and brown?​

Is this possible? I want to get a rainbow litter capacity. What genes would lnd thrmselves best to so many options?
Red is double recessive non-extension ee plus rufus. White is double recessive albino cc. Blue is double recessive dilute dd plus black B. Brown is double recessive bb (recessive to black). So, to get this alphabet soup of colors, you would need parents that are heterozygous for all those traits. That means, for example, they have both the dominant B for black and blue, but the recessive b for chocolate.

If you only care that there is red coloration, but not whether the rabbit is a red/orange agouti instead of a red/orange tortoiseshell, you could stick to just the self non-agouti aa gene. Otherwise, according to the rabbit color calculator at: Rabbit Color Calculator | Genetics If you cross two parents with the same genetics: (This mythical rabbit would be a chestnut agouti to look at, but carry all the recessives, so on the pedigree one of the parents would have the self 'a', chocolate 'b', albino 'c', dilute 'd' and fawn 'e' to pass along.)

Agouti with non-agouti Aa
Black with chocolate Bb
Full color with albino Cc
Dense color with dilute Dd
Normal extension with non-extension (fawn) Ee

You'll be heavy in the dominant agouti colors:
1 in 4 chance of white
1 in 4 chance of chestnut agouti
1 in 12 chance of orange
1 in 12 chance of opal
1 in 12 chance of chocolate agouti
1 in 12 chance of black

If you change to non-agouti aa, and leave all the rest the same, you'd have two black self rabbits with all those same recessives:
1 in 3 chance of black
1 in 4 chance of white
1 in 10 chance of black tortoiseshell (where you'll get your red/orange color with black points)
1 in 10 chance of blue
1 in 10 chance of chocolate

That means out of a litter of 10, odds are (and lady luck could instead make all of one color just for fun, just saying. . .) you could get several blacks, a couple of whites, a blue, a tort, and a chocolate, which is about what you asked for.

I tried again with an albino white cc parent that is genetically a chocolate, with all the rest Dd Ee, combined with the black with all the recessives from above: The result:
half whites
1 in 7 chance for black
1 in 7 chance for chocolate
1 in 20 chance for blue
1 in 20 chance for lilac
1 in 20 chance for black tort
1 in 20 chance for chocolate tort

Play with it yourself, I had to use the choice at the top left of the menu where you choose to enter individual genes instead of visible colors, so you can reflect the recessive traits you will need.

Latest posts

Back