How to fix torn JFeeder mesh...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Secuono

Reaction score
I have a 5# JFeeder with a totally destroyed mesh. I want to figure out how to fix it...Ideas?
What about mesh with a smaller tear in them? Stupid TSC had only torn feeders a while back when I really needed more, so I got 2 that were in need of fixing.

I have one with torn mesh, too. Part of it ripped off completely. The only ideas I have had so far are to either use gutter sealant or silicone to "glue" the mesh on, or use rivets and attach it that way. For now, there is a bowl in the cage for feed.

Ooops- sorry- your problem is different than mine! I don't think you can fix the torn mesh- I am going to buy a new piece if I can find something like it at the hardware store.

For the smaller tears, the only thing I can think of is metal window screen 'sewn' over the tear. For replacing the other screen, I have no idea, I've never seen screening even close to that gauge anywhere

I bought my J feeders from BASS- I wonder if they would sell scrap screen?

For anything larger than a small tear, you're better off just replacing the feeder. That sounds like a total waste of product, but the trouble and aggravation it will create by far exceeds the money you'd otherwise spend on a new one. Besides, many local feed stores carry the Fine-X feeders for half of what you'd pay elsewhere, while TSC carries a bunch of Chinese-made crap that costs 2 prices. The last 2 Fine-X feeders I bought set me back $5.45 each, and I'd buy them over Pet Logic, Little Giant, etc., any day.

notice that all the tears really seem to need is to be held together and they will hold the pellets. I took a small piece of welded wire scrap and just wired it on to outside of the feeders that had tears/holes, using some light wire to thread through them both kind of like a twist tie. They don't look pretty but they are totally functional.

Go through a Catalog
where you can buy in lots of ten or more at a savings.
It's always good to have a few extra Feeders available.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Klubbertanz sells them for $3. Not worth fixing.

May not be worth to you to fix, but everything adds up. If I have to fix one every 2 mo, that's $18 a year, if I breed for 30yrs, $540 wasted on 'new' feeders. Then you need to do shipping. Worst off you are wasting materials and the planet cannot support wasteful people forever.

ChickiesnBunnies":1vywbfnk said:
May not be worth to you to fix, but everything adds up. If I have to fix one every 2 mo, that's $18 a year, if I breed for 30yrs, $540 wasted on 'new' feeders. Then you need to do shipping. Worst off you are wasting materials and the planet cannot support wasteful people forever.

Okay, you're right, my bad. Waste 3+ hours repairing a feeder.

Here's an idea, though. Buy your feeders at a local show when one comes to your area. You won't spend the money shipping, and you'll be buying merchandise which isn't damaged, but at the very least, get your arms around the idea that feeders are an asset which depreciates over their service lives. In other words, they don't last forever. Buy damaged ones from the get-go and you're practically guaranteeing yourself that you'll spend more time (and money) replacing them over time.

How the heck are you breaking one every 2months? I have yet to damage one aside from accidentally over bleaching it so that it's a bit rusty. Those things should last years. You might want to invest in solid bottom feeders, will take no more time cleaning them out than it does fixing them frequently, or a higher quality if you break them so often rather than spending so much effort fixing them. Plus the materials to patch them is probably about the same as a new feeder.

It was just to show you end up wasting money. Good lord, chill out people! Not everyone can just keep buying new things, some of us rather fix than throw away.

How the heck are you getting 3hrs to fix a feeder? Unless you are trying to fix it while having a stroke or seizure, it takes just minutes!

Why is everyone so uptight all of a sudden?

Nvm, someone close this thread, it's gone down hill already.

A Penny saved is a penny earned,
but sometimes a dollar or two spent
will save much time and effort from
being wasted. [Been there, done that!]
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

You're the one coming on here asking how to fix a severely damaged feeder. If you knew so much about how to do it, why ask for advice on how to do it in the first place?

IOW, you opened it up for discussion. Don't get bent over others who suggest something you didn't want to hear.

How are they severely damaged? You do not buy a new screen door when the dog runs through it, you buy a roll of screen and replace it.
A cut sheet of aluminum flashing will do the job. Cheap, takes just minutes to do. Was looking for other ideas.

ChickiesnBunnies":f5y30dd8 said:
How are they severely damaged? You do not buy a new screen door when the dog runs through it, you buy a roll of screen and replace it.
A cut sheet of aluminum flashing will do the job. Cheap, takes just minutes to do. Was looking for other ideas.

I have J feeders that have the perforated metal, and I really like the EZ feeder, so far it has escaped damage. I haven't bothered to fix the torn one, I just pour the feed on one side and hold the bucket under to catch the spills. But I made sure to give that doe a feeder with a metal perforated bottom when I moved her.

A rip in the screen you should be able to whip-stitch with some fine wire, even a paper twist-tie with the paper removed.

For a hole, you would need a small piece of screen you could stitch into place.

Let me know if you fix the feeders while having a seizure. I haven't been able to do that yet

ChickiesnBunnies":1yscrdnf said:
How are they severely damaged?

Seems your wording and descriptions change based upon when it's convenient for you.

"I have a 5# JFeeder with a totally destroyed mesh."

"Severely damaged" and "totally destroyed" are very consistent with one another.

The last time I looked at one of my Fine-X J-Feeders, that mesh is installed in the feeder between two galvanized lips which are riveted together and are part of the main body of the feeder frame. In order to replace that mesh properly, one would have to drill out the rivets, then replace not only the mesh, but the rivets as well.

If it's a simple tear, yeah stitching it together would be a quick and sensible repair. As far as a "totally destroyed mesh"? If you have sheet metal experience and/or have the tools necessary to drill and replace rivets and replace the mesh properly, knock yourself out and go for it. However, going out and buying a new batch of tools to fix a $5 feeder hardly makes sense to me.

As for me, it's easier and much cheaper to just toss the offending damaged feeder and replace it. As often as I go to shows, it's easy and affordable to do so without paying for the first thin dime of shipping costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back