how to cull kill a Guinea pig thats sick.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
One of the three guinea pigs given to us has a breathing problem. He is often gasping for breath. I thought the moving might of been too much for him so was giving him time but he is suffering. I read it could be heart problems, crushed treachea or ? Whatever it is he is not doing well. I need to put him down but not sure how. On YouTube videos they break the neck. Could I use my wringer for it? Any advice would be appreciated.

You could try the wringer but I found their necks too short. You might be able to shoot a sick one accurately. The were too active for my rifle and it went badly. In the end I downed them. It's questionably humane but the best I could come up with.

I do not own a gun.. the videos on YouTube some I felt were not quick. It looked like most twisted and pulled their necks back but some had to do it a few times.

Knife through the bottom of the skull, through the top, piercing the brain? Just and idea.
Or severe the head in one quick motion.

I finally was able to do he deed. I tried a neck twist that I watched on YouTube and switched to wringer right away. That worked but harder than a rabbit. Hope to never have to kill a guinea pig again. At no time did he display stress or fear.

We have them for pet and daughter might show hers in 4-H. Some show breeder had to get rid of some asap so the person I got them from took them. They did not want them so we got them. We got three males from them. Was told the sickly one always had breathing problems. We also have 3 females in a outside cage as pets.

For future reference, the easiest and quickest way to kill a guinea pig is to hold them in your hand and whack them hard against something hard (aka a brick wall). Even a cinder block will do the trick. Just like doing a wee baby rabbit but just a larger handful.

I put mine in a box with a scattering of hay. They get under the hay so feel secure and then I position the jaws of my long handled pruners behind their heads and then press down a little bit and go snip.

Really easy.

Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the jaws just right but no harm done, it just takes time.

I twist the neck. If it doesnt make the proper snap then do more twist and hold very tight . Combined twist and squeezed neck seems to put them out quite quick.

Sorry you had to put out the sick one ):

Sorry about the piggie, Demamma. :(

I'm glad he found his way to you though, since you were kind enough to put him out of his pain. :encourage:

Back