How to breed for Chocolate Magpie?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello and Howdy my good folks! I am a recent addition to the rabbitry community and have a mix of different colors available.

I was wondering what could produce a chocolate magpie!

My apologies! I have yet to have the time to sit down and study my punnet squares

you either need a magpie, or a chocolate tricolour and preferrably a chocolate chinchilla and you should get chocolate magpie. (they are very pretty).

breed them and find out. :) does the doe carry tricolour at all? I'm not into genetics okay? I know that if I would (in just practicality) breed that together I probably wouldn't get chocolate magpies. But if I bred the daughter to the sire I would.

I have a standard magpie buck and a self chocolate doe. What color would this bring about?
Your magpie buck is a chinchilla harlequin (harlequin <ej> with an allele in the C position, <cchd>, that blocks expression of yellow pigment, leaving the rabbit in shades of black and white). Most harlies/magpies are agoutis <A_>. He also is a black, which is dominant <B_>, and dense colored rather than dilute <D_>. He may or may not be broken, since that tends to be masked by the magpie coloration. But you can see clues that he's broken by noting a complete absence of color on his feet and belly, though that's not a 100% accurate clue.

Your self chocolate doe is doe is a recessive self <aa>, recessive chocolate <bb> and dominant full-color <C_>, and sh is not broken colored so she's <enen>. She is full color and not dilute, harlequin or tort, so you know she's <C_> <D_> and <E_>.

What you'll get from this cross depends entirely at what the two rabbits are carrying in their undetermined "second places" (the dash after the dominant allele, for instance <B_>).

If your buck carries a self or tan allele hiding behind his agouti, <A at> or <Aa> you might see tans (aka otters) or selfs in the litter. If he does not and is homozygous for agouti <AA>, all the kits will look agouti but carry self, i.e. <A a>.

If your buck carries a chocolate allele hiding behind his black, <Bb> you might see chocolates or chocolate agoutis in the litter. If he does not and is homozygous for black <BB>, all the kits will look black but carry chocolate, i.e. <Bb>.

If your buck is broken you should see, on average, 50% broken colored kits in his litters.

On to the doe... since she has many recessives, the only bits at issue are the C, D and E gene series.

If both rabbits carry a hidden dilute allele <d>, you'll probably see dilute kits (blue or lilac).

If she carries any of the lower C series alleles (cchd = chinchilla, cchl = sable/shaded, ch = himalayan, c -= REW) behind her full-color C, you might get chinchillas or sable chinchillas, as well as sables if the buck carries cchl, ch or c; or himis if the buck carries ch or c; or REWs if both she and the buck carry c.

If she carries harlie <ej> or non-extension <e> in her second-place E, you'll very likely get harlies or magpies (which are agoutis), possibly torted harlies or torted magpies (which are selfs), and depending on what the buck carries in his second place E, possibly also REWs.

So even though it's hard to predict exactly what you'll get from this cross, what you do get will probably give you a lot of information about what genetics your rabbits are carrying, which will make predicting future litters (with these two, or other pairings) more straightforward.

Your magpie buck is a chinchilla harlequin (harlequin <ej> with an allele in the C position, <cchd>, that blocks expression of yellow pigment, leaving the rabbit in shades of black and white). Most harlies/magpies are agoutis <A_>. He also is a black, which is dominant <B_>, and dense colored rather than dilute <D_>. He may or may not be broken, since that tends to be masked by the magpie coloration. But you can see clues that he's broken by noting a complete absence of color on his feet and belly, though that's not a 100% accurate clue.

Your self chocolate doe is doe is a recessive self <aa>, recessive chocolate <bb> and dominant full-color <C_>, and sh is not broken colored so she's <enen>. She is full color and not dilute, harlequin or tort, so you know she's <C_> <D_> and <E_>.

What you'll get from this cross depends entirely at what the two rabbits are carrying in their undetermined "second places" (the dash after the dominant allele, for instance <B_>).

If your buck carries a self or tan allele hiding behind his agouti, <A at> or <Aa> you might see tans (aka otters) or selfs in the litter. If he does not and is homozygous for agouti <AA>, all the kits will look agouti but carry self, i.e. <A a>.

If your buck carries a chocolate allele hiding behind his black, <Bb> you might see chocolates or chocolate agoutis in the litter. If he does not and is homozygous for black <BB>, all the kits will look black but carry chocolate, i.e. <Bb>.

If your buck is broken you should see, on average, 50% broken colored kits in his litters.

On to the doe... since she has many recessives, the only bits at issue are the C, D and E gene series.

If both rabbits carry a hidden dilute allele <d>, you'll probably see dilute kits (blue or lilac).

If she carries any of the lower C series alleles (cchd = chinchilla, cchl = sable/shaded, ch = himalayan, c -= REW) behind her full-color C, you might get chinchillas or sable chinchillas, as well as sables if the buck carries cchl, ch or c; or himis if the buck carries ch or c; or REWs if both she and the buck carry c.

If she carries harlie <ej> or non-extension <e> in her second-place E, you'll very likely get harlies or magpies (which are agoutis), possibly torted harlies or torted magpies (which are selfs), and depending on what the buck carries in his second place E, possibly also REWs.

So even though it's hard to predict exactly what you'll get from this cross, what you do get will probably give you a lot of information about what genetics your rabbits are carrying, which will make predicting future litters (with these two, or other pairings) more straightforward.
Wow! I am in awe of your rabbit intelligence! How can I be you? Haha, thank you so much for your reply!

If there is a method for learning genes I would be greatly appreciative to hear about it.
I have a lot of learning to do, and your help is invaluable

Wow! I am in awe of your rabbit intelligence! How can I be you? Haha, thank you so much for your reply!

If there is a method for learning genes I would be greatly appreciative to hear about it.
I have a lot of learning to do, and your help is invaluable
I'm still learning, just like everyone else - but maybe I am a little obsessed and spend a little more time than normal on these things... I love questions like yours, which give me a chance to do some "virtual breeding," since there is not enough time or space in the world for all the rabbit genetics breeding experiments I'd like to do. :ROFLMAO:

There is a really good publication that I always recommend called "ABC: About Bunny Colors" by Ellen Eddy that is the best beginner text I've ever found. It breaks rabbit coat color genetics down into the basics and proceeds very logically through the different gene series that are at play in most colors. In fact it's not only for beginners, it's also a great reference for people who have been working with coat color genetics for some time - I have it open in front of me right now!

You can find it for sale here:
https://www.allthingsbunnies.com/ABC-About-Bunny-Colors-p/bks107.htmor here:
https://rabbitsmarties.com/rabbit-book-catalog/rabbit-coat-color-genetics-guide
Anyway, welcome to coat color genetics...the fun is just beginning for you! :)

I have a chocolate magpie buck. I know nothing of genetics but what would he produce with a broken chocolate?

I have a chocolate magpie buck. I know nothing of genetics but what would he produce with a broken chocolate?
I'm still new-ish to genetics, but I think you would get tri colors of some sort, let someone else fact check this before taking it to heart.

This is what I understand.
Tri color is just the harlequin pattern genes with the added broken gene.
"magpie" harlequin is caused by harlequin and chinchilla genes mixing.
so, if you mix the broken gene with the magpie harlequin (chinchilla harlequin?) genes you would get some kind of agouti tri color, I think.

(i do not know the proper names or letter codes for the genes off the top of my head, though that may not be a bad thing, as for me it was way easier to start learning with layman's terms anyway)

@jaxmarblebuns is right, you can expect to see tricolors.

All of their bunnies will be chocolate-based (either chocolate, and/or its dilute version, lilac, if both parents happen to carry a hidden dilute <d>).

In addition to chocolate tricolors, you could expect solid chocolate harlequins, and chocolate agoutis (brokens and solids), possibly also solid or broken chocolates if the buck carries self. If the doe happens to carry chinchilla, you might also see chocolate chinchilla, more chocolate magpies and/or broken chocolate magpies (which can be hard to tell from regular chocolate magpies).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back