How the Rabbit Had It's Ears Ripped Off...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndseyrk

Reaction score
My mom and I both raise rabbits. From time to time, we'll trade rabbits for new breeding stock. A couple months ago, I traded her an 8 week old NZW doe for a 6 week old NZB doe. All was well. Then, when I got back from my evening walk one day, dh told me I need to call my mom. I asked why, and he told me that my stepdad had decided to breed the doe I gave them, so he put her in with the buck. They started fighting, and he couldn't get the buck off of the doe, until the buck had completely ripped the ears off the doe. It was BAD, so he just put it down. When he did, he realized the doe was indeed a BUCK. So I was getting a phone call to get my butt ripped for giving them a buck instead of a doe. My only defense was WHY would they try to breed a 3 month old rabbit???

I had outside chores to do, and by the time I got inside, it was 9:30pm. I totally forgot about the whole thing and about calling. Around midnight dh asked me about calling and I told him I'd call in the morning. He just started DIEING laughing. I was very confused. He decided since I didn't call, he better let me in on a little secret: "It never happened".....come to find out, they did discover the doe was a buck, and they came up with the story to get me going and to feel bad for giving them the wrong sex. THAT was a mean joke!

That was very mean. I don't think it is the least bit funny either. Someday they may discover it is quite easy to make the occasional mistake sexing young rabbits.

But at least the bunny is okay and still has its ears.

Wow, I would be extremely (how shall I put it in a way that does not use bad words).. upset. I know it is family, but I would never even think to do that to someone. :(

Lauren

I think it was in extremely poor taste and I'd be reluctant to send any more rabbits their way for a long time.

Sadly, it sounds exactly like the kind of prank my friends and family would pull. The down side for them is eventually no one believes them even when something really does happen. Like running up with their hand wrapped in a bloody rag--Usually it's been soaked in a pan of thawing meat, except for the one time it wasn't and we all just laughed...

Latest posts

Back