How tame are your colony kits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
We have one Rex kit in the Rex colony and it is wild as a wild thing.

Despite being handled from day one.

How wild or tame are your colony kits?

We will see :)
But all my rabbits except Madra are the friendly and curious type. Or Madra is too, she's just more nervous. They come to me when I feed them (I give the first food from my hand before putting the rest in the bowl) and once I've catched them they're nice enough.
Madra and Fläder are new young does I bought and they both started to come over and say hi after I put them in the colony - they did not like me when they were in a cage.
So I hope that by breeding on curious and friendly rabbits I'll get kits that's curious and friendly as well :)

I raise in cages, but I had an escapee from my quarantine cage in the chicken coop recently. When I walked in there to feed, the little guy ran right up to me. :p

I scooped him up and put him back with his family. :)

My homebreds are a lot more curious and friendly than the ones from
Bigger rabbitries. I haven't known colony rabbits to be as easy to pick up than those handle often in a cage setting. I feel like like a colony would be better about interaction since there is more to do per say. Both ways of raising have there give and takes ;) I usually move my mom and babies to a smaller cage 2-3weeks before weaning so they don't learn to run to the back of the cage. They seem to realize that Im the one that gives the food and water and loving faster and that I can catch them. Never out of reach. Before you know it, they are waiting at the front of the cage for head scratches an easy to pull out. I hate rabbits that run to the back of the cage. Such a pain!

Once they are put into a hutch, mine are tame after the 2nd day. It's like the colony gives them too much room to spook and all. :/

We're usually falling over mine as they try to sit on your feet or refuse to move out of the way.

My youngsters are generally as wild as cottontails... but not so fragile. Once caught (if they need treatment for a bad eye, for instance) they calm down fairly quickly, but they really do not enjoy being handled. That's okay with me, since it means I don't get attached. Our adults are more friendly (some of them started life in cages) but they still don't appreciate being picked up. It's the down side of colony rabbits, but they do have a much enhanced social life and their daily care is so much easier that I have no plans to go back to cages.

As I have a small cage empty I might put First (the kids named it) into it for awhile and see how it goes.

The adults are all over feet when we go in but this little ball of velvet is just a streak as it heads for cover.

Am I the only one noticing how caged rabbits got more friendly and ''tame'' after I put them in a pen?

My rex are wild to begin with , cages or not! And I handle them from birth.

No bunnies are as friendly as my house bunnies were.

Zab":n3qolroj said:
Am I the only one noticing how caged rabbits got more friendly and ''tame'' after I put them in a pen?

No, I noticed it with the parents in the colony, they were right little so and so's in cages but loves in the colony.

A really NICE change but this kit is wild as a Hare and is only getting worse.

Not a problem if its a buck, he will just be tasty but if its a doe we neeeeeeed her.

My buck and doe in my colony (rather a very large cage, lol) started off their lives in cages and now in the colony setting are very friendly. The two kits who were born in the colony four weeks ago are very friendly but not too fond of being picked up. When I get in with the rabbits the kits follow me around and eat the snow off my boots. When cleaning the straw out the rabbits are very nosy and are constantly getting in the way.

Latest posts

Back