How small is too small to breed?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I think my "true dwarf" Netherland dwarf doe is going to be small to breed. She is 17 weeks old and weighs 675 gms and she's only gained 25gms over the last two weeks so her growth rate has slowed way down. I bet she's going to stop growing before she even reaches 800gms (800gms is 1.76lbs). I'm disappointed because she's very round and cute- carries vienna gene, if only she was a boy. Here's a picture I took a while weeks ago. In a Netherland dwarf how small is to small to breed?
:pancake:

Attachments

• biancasitting.jpg
    biancasitting.jpg
    76.8 KB
  • BiancaArialshot.jpg
    BiancaArialshot.jpg
    120.3 KB
  • bianca head shot.jpg
    bianca head shot.jpg
    55.8 KB
I'm not sure I would risk it. She would probably get a kit stuck, and you'd get a lot of issues. Maybe if you had a buck that size, but that sounds like you might just get a bunch of peanut kits, anyhow. Sorry.

She is cute though!

I would say the same thing. Not sure I would breed under 2lbs, except that I don't keep anything as pets. Either they breed or get culled, and culling it would be the same as breeding it with the risk.

It's always the cute ones, right?

That's around the same age my lionhead doe seemed to stop growing... she end up slowly putting on another half pound. Give her time before you write her off, she still has plenty of time to gain weight - dwarf breeds don't generally stop growing until 6mths, so somewhere between 24 and 26 weeks. Also, as long as she doesn't have pinched hips, she should be able to kindle if bred to a similarly sized buck.

I have a Tort ND doe that at 6 1/2 months was only 1 lb. 8.2 oz. She is now 8 months and just delivered a litter of 4 kits last week 1 was a peanut, but the other 3 look great. I bred her with my ND buck who is 2 lb. 1.6 oz. I have never had a doe as small as her. I was going to try showing her but she has a broken toe. Like PSF said, if you breed her to a small sized buck it could work. I was very surprised that I didn't get more peanuts though.

I haven't gotten any peanuts yet from my show Jersey Wooly does yet. Thinking that might have something to do with the buck in my case.

beckyhuff314":1drd4oqv said:
I have a Tort ND doe that at 6 1/2 months was only 1 lb. 8.2 oz. She is now 8 months and just delivered a litter of 4 kits last week 1 was a peanut, but the other 3 look great. I bred her with my ND buck who is 2 lb. 1.6 oz. I have never had a doe as small as her. I was going to try showing her but she has a broken toe. Like PSF said, if you breed her to a small sized buck it could work. I was very surprised that I didn't get more peanuts though.

Wow, she is really small that is slightly smaller than mine is now - mine just over 4 months so she gain a few more ounces so that's encouraging.

Latest posts

Back