How old is *too* old -- for breeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those numbers are what she's done in show. Sounds like she has 3 legs as best of variety and 2 legs as best of breed? I think that's how that goes, but I'm not entirely sure as I haven't started showing yet.

PSFAngoras":iuvlibl9 said:
Those numbers are what she's done in show. Sounds like she has 3 legs as best of variety and 2 legs as best of breed? I think that's how that goes, but I'm not entirely sure as I haven't started showing yet.

That's the impression I get as well - its her show results.

BunnyBounce":1tst5aut said:
Ramjet":1tst5aut said:
Do you know if she produced litters for her previous owner ?!

Four years isn't terribly old for a rabbit .... tho that's definitely a late start if she hasn't produced in the past.

There has to be an explainable reason why she's not breeding / becoming pregnant.

From what I've read , they can accumulate fat tissue around their internal organs which will affect their ability to become pregnant , especially in older does who haven't produced prior or who have gone an extended period of time between litters..

We have to consider the fact that in their natural state they are much more active than in a caged environment , no matter how comfortable we try to make them. They lounge around all day in captivity and get fat. Its almost impossible to know how much fat they carry internally until we butcher them ....

Maybe she's malnourished ?!

There has to be a reason .... You just have to figure it out. Diet is where I'd start ....

Her pedigree has some chicken scratch on it next to her name that says, "2BOB, 3BOV" <-- I think that references her litter results. The girl I bought her from, was in high school and showed her through 4H. She seemed very trustworthy and said she'd thrown very beautiful kits in the past, but I'm not sure how far in the past. I was only texting with her and cannot find her number now or I'd ask.
If you thought she was malnourished, what would you start her on?
I'd lean toward that versus fat... she's a skinny little thing under all her fluff.

Calf Manna will fatten her right up. Sorry for the late response, :lol:

It looks like she has 5 legs. 2 Best of Breed, 3 Best of Variety. Sounds like she's a real nice wabbit.

Oats and BOSS would be a better choice. Calf manna is too heavy on corn and molasses. It can lead to a less healthy weight gain since it tends to pack on useless fat instead of good muscle tone. It also has a higher risk of causing digestive upset and in lactating females mastitis than plain oats and sunflower seeds. Oils are another option. A bit of horse coat or weight supplement which is usually a mix of soy, flax, possibly sunflower, and other high quality vegetable oils works well for putting on weight. You can roll the pellets in a couple tablespoons before feeding.

I think she might be pregnant! I'm not great with the tummy palpating yet, but I'm pretty sure I felt something.
If she is... she's due next week! Yay!

Back