How Often Do You Use Your Bucks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HowlsOfAngels

Reaction score
I'm curious to know how many does can be assigned to a single buck and how frequently he can be used.

Say, a single buck is assigned to five does, can you breed him to all five in a single day and expect them to take? Or would you be asking to much of him? Could a buck be assigned to ten does and breed two does a day for five days? Etc..
What system do you use, personally, and why?

I'm just wanting to know what is reasonable and what is ludicrous in respect to rabbit breeding expectations. Thank you for your time and patience in regards to my ignorance on these matters.

I had a buck service a doe 3 times, and then had him service a second doe once.

The doe bred 3 times had 4 kits, the doe bred once had 9.

From that observation, I would assume one could breed a buck to 4 does in a day and expect to have kits from all the does.

I don't normally breed more than one or two does a day, though.

I had a buck escape in to a colony of does and he bred 10 in about 24hrs successfully. The last one only had 2 kits but he still got her. He was the best buck I've ever had.

I have some bucks in colony with 5-8 does but they have unlimited time to breed them. However usually I have kits from all the does within the same week or a few days of each other. Then I have a few bucks in cages that only get used every few months or once a year to test genetics for producing rollback instead of flyback coats and certain colors.

Back