How much to feed a rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paper_crane2

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on how much to feed rabbits per day. When I get rabbits (probably another year or so due to the fact I'll be moving) I want to feed sprouted barley fodder and other things I can grow myself. I want to eventually grow even my own timothy hay!

I know how much a rabbit needs of the barley fodder a day if that is all they were eating (including hay of course), from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX4VoV7DeG8. But what if I was feeding other things every day like greens from the garden and weeds? When I have enough greens (like in the summer) can I just feed that and not the fodder as well? And then how much would I feed of the greens?

Feed them by weight of the feed in question, not by volume.

The manufacturers usually give a suggested amount to feed as it relates to the size of the animal. Get a small scale and weigh the feed, then see where that weighed amount typically measures up to in the cup you're feeding with and make a mental note of it. Just haphazardly measuring it with a measured 1-cup scoop is tricky at best because different feeds have different densities due to their contents. While one feed may weigh 5 oz. in a measured cup, another feed may be significantly more or less depending upon a number of factors.

In other words, it's easy to get sideways by confusing weight measurements and volume measurements. They're almost never the same.

SatinsRule, paper_crane_2 is asking about natural feeding (without pellets)... so there are no manufacturers from whom to get information.

Paper_crane_2, I find myself adjusting for the seasons. My rabbits always have hay (mostly alfalfa) free choice. This ensures they get sufficient protein and need never feel overly hungry.

I also feed a small quantity of grain - usually wheat but sometimes barley. (About 1/4 cup per adult rabbit, a bit more when I have nursing does.) This spring past I was feeding sprouted grain or fodder instead of straight grain. We quit doing this for the summer due to some issues with mould in the hot humid weather and went back to whole grain. By this time, the weeds and other greens were plentiful so the fodder became less desirable to the rabbits anyway.

From May to October, I feed a lot of greens, mostly weeds and cuttings from safe trees. Early in the season the quantities are quite small but the increasing abundance as the weather warms up provides a smooth transition to summer diet. I find that they always finish the greens I give them. Right now they are getting about a five gallon bucketful a day for a small colony of 3-4 adults and perhaps 12-15 youngsters of varying ages. When they are getting lots of greens they are really much less interested in the hay and grain. They still eat them, but not first and not in such quantity.

As the greens diminish in fall, I will probably go back to feeding sprouts or fodder, but I also feed small quantities of fresh foods throughout the winter: cabbage, carrots, beets, pumpkin etc. plus vegetable trimmings from the kitchen. These must be eased in slowly: root crops are rich and cabbage can be "gassy" if the rabbits are not accustomed to it. That said, I've never had problems and often see kits just out of the nest chowing down on cabbage. Start off as you mean to continue and all should be well.

Naturally, the rabbits also have constant fresh water and a trace mineral salt block.

I have had very pleasing results with this method of feeding. Alfalfa hay is $3.50 a small square bale of about $40 pounds and whole wheat is about $10-12 per 50 pound bag, so it is very economical for me -- but that is not the main consideration. I use about 20 bales of hay a year, but the chickens get a bit of that in the dead of winter. The quantity of grain is harder to calculate because whether it is fed as is or as sprouts and fodder, the poultry are eating from the same bin.

I should mention that the rabbits grow a bit more slowly on natural feed (this is normal) and reach sexual maturity a bit later. I can keep them all together in the colony and have seldom seen signs of even a mild skirmish; nor have I butchered a fryer that turned out to be pregnant. I usually butcher at 14-16 weeks instead of the 10-12 typical of pellet-fed rabbits. The meat is firm and flavourful with just a little fat around the kidneys in most cases. Very occasionally there is a bit over the shoulders as well, but not often and not much. You do lose a bit of tenderness, perhaps; the meat is comparable to turkey or pork rather than fryer chickens. I don't fry meat very often anyway, so this is not a problem for us.

I started with natural feeding in the spring of 2007, so by now I have considerable experience with it, but I am always learning more. It's not for everyone, of course, and it does not work as easily in larger rabbitries or in more urban settings where foraging is minimal, but there are commercial rabbitries in France that feed rabbits an alfalfa and grain based diet. They raise a special strain of Rex rabbits, so have both the meat and furs to sell, both to high end buyers. The fur accounts for 60% of their profit and the meat for 40%. I've provided a link for you, but I must warn that the Google translation leaves a lot to be desired.

http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl ... 26hs%3DbUg

I shall disclaim by saying that I haven't been at this very long--though I have researched alot about pellet-free, forage-based feeding and learned alot from this forum too. :D Anyhow, it seems to me that with green foods like fresh cut fodder, garden greens, weeds, and also with hay, it's impossible to feed too much--you just give as much of these things as the rabbits will eat. The only caveat to that I can think of off-hand is that you would want to provide a decent amount of fiber in the diet (so plenty of grass and stuff, not just lettuce). Rabbits can much all day on foliage and it's natural for them to do so.

It is possible though to over-feed grains or pellets or other feed with high caloric content. But you can monitor the condition of the rabbits by feel. Not every rabbit may need the same amount anyway (sorry, I know that's not very immediately helpful).

So I don't weigh anything, I just give them all as much greenery as they can eat, and eye-ball a small ration of oats, roots, and sugarcane based upon age, needs, and condition (usually a tiny handful for the buck, somewhat more for the pregnant or nursing does and the grow-outs)--I really should measure the amounts sometime though, just so I have a better notion...

Hope that's helpful to you... :)

MaggieJ":2mcq4zyu said:
SatinsRule, paper_crane_2 is asking about natural feeding (without pellets)... so there are no manufacturers from whom to get information.

:chair: Ahhh-ooooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!

rambling rabbit":wu3v0osb said:
It is possible though to over-feed grains or pellets or other feed with high caloric content. But you can monitor the condition of the rabbits by feel. Not every rabbit may need the same amount anyway (sorry, I know that's not very immediately helpful).

So I don't weigh anything, I just give them all as much greenery as they can eat, and eye-ball a small ration of oats, roots, and sugarcane based upon age, needs, and condition (usually a tiny handful for the buck, somewhat more for the pregnant or nursing does and the grow-outs)
:yeahthat:
But here is a study on the daily digestible energy needs of rabbits depending on use and age. http://www.mekarn.org/prorab/guan.htm
and is what the feed companies use to formulate their diets

Dood":s7wa9jwp said:
rambling rabbit":s7wa9jwp said:

So I don't weigh anything, I just give them all as much greenery as they can eat, and eye-ball a small ration of oats, roots, and sugarcane based upon age, needs, and condition (usually a tiny handful for the buck, somewhat more for the pregnant or nursing does and the grow-outs)
:yeahthat:
But here is a study on the daily digestible energy needs of rabbits depending on use and age. http://www.mekarn.org/prorab/guan.htm
and is what the feed companies use to formulate their diets

Well sure... but most backyard rabbit keepers don't have laboratories for analyzing feed sources, :shock: which may differ daily or seasonally anyway, nor is it really necessary for most of us I should think... :)

One comes to a point when the rabbit will let you know how much or what they need. Just lok at what they do and will start to understand.
You put 2 handfull of hay at night and see what is left in the morning and adjust.

Andrei":2qzw104s said:
One comes to a point when the rabbit will let you know how much or what they need. Just lok at what they do and will start to understand.
You put 2 handfull of hay at night and see what is left in the morning and adjust.

That pretty much describes how I feed all my animals. And sometimes they seem to go through spells of eating more or less, for reasons I often can't deduce. So when someone asks me how much I feed them every day, I kind of always want to say, "Um, as much as they need that day, I guess." :lol: The only problem I find is that it gets kind of tricky when you have to have someone else fill in for you who doesn't do it regularly or doesn't have as much experience with the animals... :?

ramblingrabbit":7kmwyd10 said:
Andrei":7kmwyd10 said:

That pretty much describes how I feed all my animals. And sometimes they seem to go through spells of eating more or less, for reasons I often can't deduce. So when someone asks me how much I feed them every day, I kind of always want to say, "Um, as much as they need that day, I guess." :lol: The only problem I find is that it gets kind of tricky when you have to have someone else fill in for you who doesn't do it regularly or doesn't have as much experience with the animals... :?
And that is because you are there in contact with your animals and have a relation.
If and when they do not eat you know/feel something is wrong or a change is coming.
It is nothing wrong with an animal or us to feel some hunger every now and then.
We overfeed most of the time.

Andrei":1xnoj6zg said:
ramblingrabbit":1xnoj6zg said:
Andrei":1xnoj6zg said:

And that is because you are there in contact with your animals and have a relation.
If and when they do not eat you know/feel something is wrong or a change is coming.
It is nothing wrong with an animal or us to feel some hunger every now and then.
We overfeed most of the time.

Yes, something like that. But like where the OP is at right now, right, we all still started with a system and a formula (or in my case I tried to come up with one as best I could, anyway, since I had no exact blueprint to follow), and the kindly gentlemen who sold them to me and told me to feed them only "a half cup of pellets a day" couldn't shed any light on forage-feeding either. The instinctual "Knowing" always comes later... :) Right now, I'm mostly occupied with what happens when I need to take a vacation, and have to leave them in other hands for a while... For that eventuality--or for advising other people who want to start out in the future--I need to quantify and record what I do.

Back