How much of a pregnancy indicator is a dewlap?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macksmom98

Reaction score
I have 3 does, maybe 4 that I believe to be pregnant. One has pulled fur so I know her dewlap is loose (she's 2 yrs old), one has not very loose hair but a few pieces could be pulled out (she's 6 months and just got her dewlap), and the other has hair coming out on it's own it's so loose (she's about 9 months old). I'm wondering, does age or other factors have any Bering on a positive pregnancy or as to how loose it gets? Can pregnancy hormones cause hair to fall out all over, or is that likely something else too?

Sounds like normal Moulting to me :shrug:

My bunnies are all blowing their summer coats and growing in their winter fur and only 4 are pregnant and the bucks are definitely not preggers ;)

I haven't found ease of hair removal any sign of pregnancy~ they pull regardless.
My previous mamas haven't had dewlaps, but my two SR girls have grown significant ones in the past week or two (due this week)~ so I was wondering more about the development of a dewlap indicates anything ;)

If my 6 month old Holland is pregnant, that could be true of her. She has grown a small but definite dewlap in the last 3 weeks or so, which would be the timeframe that the pregnancy hormones started. May be a coincidence but maybe not....

Dewlap itself is no indicator of any thing but a rabbit getting fat (in some cases not all). In a few breeds actually a DQ for show. I've not found any link to fur being loose either; its that time of year for shedding here too and well they all look like they've blown snow ball coats even though they are inside....

Latest posts

Back