How much does rabbit meat cost?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locally, 2.5 - 3 pounds dressed is $18.00. USDA inspected and vacuum packed is $10.00 a pound.

It's much cheaper to buy a live fryer and butcher it yourself. They go for $10.00 to $12.00 for a 5 pound fryer.

$15-20 per rabbit here. I haven't bought it by the lb, and never intend to now. I'm going to check it out at the farmers market though.

Thanks! I already have meat rabbits myself and I don't plan on selling too much of my rabbit meat (it's good enough that I'd rather keep it). I am doing a presentation on meat rabbits soon and so I started wondering how much rabbit meat costs.

Here in SC they go for about 18-19 dollars. If you don't want to process them and just raise them for a processor, there is one here that pays about 1.67 per pound live weight. I'm taking a new and beginning farmer's class and included this in my business plan. Each state has different regulations for selling meat. Here you have to have a USDA inspected facility to sell to the public. Also, have to be egg certified to sell chicken eggs. So many annoying regulations for farmers. Could get around the regs by selling the rabbit carcasses with a label "not for human consumption", but that's a bit dishonest for me.

Hope this helps.

A local Grocery store in my Town has adult rabbits dressed, wrapped, tagged for $6 average price. I was shocked------no wonder I can not sell young meat rabbits for $10.

Back