How much do your rabbits like hay?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
I feed mostly pellets and not much hay. My rabbits will eat pellets out of my hand but not hay. However I currently have 2 litters about a month old and they seem to like hay over pellets. They go for hay even when there's pellets available. Could it be because I introduced them to hay as babies?

It could be. I haven't noticed that with my herd. What type of hay are you feeding? It could also be that the babies just like nibbling on it (they are at that age when they like to test out their teeth). My kits always eat hay before they are eating pellets. Most adult rabbits will prefer pellet over hay, unless they have a craving for it. Kind of like salt. I think that rabbits, like any animal, know what's good for them and what they need in a sense. I have this angora (lots of fur!) that always goes for the hay I put in before pellets. I think he does this because he needs more digestive help (hairballs) compared to my NZ's. My other rabbits like to cosume hay because it makes them feel fuller for longer (fiber). It could just be that your buns don't think they need it as often because they feel good and are well fed. On the other hand, I've also had rabbits that don't often eat treats or greens that they where never introduced to at a young age. 🤷‍♀️ Regardless, every rabbit should have the option to eat hay at free will to aviod GI problems.

The rabbits eat a lot less of the expensive pellets when I free feed hay. I like to give my rabbits variety. I have given them mown grass hay, real hay bale from the feed store, straw bale from the store and hay from a neighbor who makes his own hay from cutting a field full of all kinds of random plants.

In order of preference, they like 1) mixed hay 2) straw 3) grass 4) hay bale. Since I got a giant roll of the mixed hay, that is going to be what they have for the foreseeable future. They seem to like the heavier, chewier, stick type stuff more than the softer hays. They also like dried leaves.

I also like feeding them hay because it falls to the floor and makes walking nicer, as well as soaking up some of the urine. I have chickens that come in and turn the hay and manure over a couple times a day. They also eat all the fallen grain/pellets.

If you have room for it, a farmer might sell a 'broken' roll of hay cheap, since it's hard to transport LOL (that's what I got)

Liz

I free-feed hay, plus they get pellets. I've tried hay cubes--the rabbits fool around with them but they never seem to disappear. The hay disappears. Mags mentioned that the kits eat hay before they learn to eat pellets--that happens with my rabbits as well. Also, I've never experienced a rabbit with bloat. That is probably not a coincidence. Experienced rabbit breeders say to feed hay, especially to kits.

I hate the mess, but I'm trying to give the rabbits what they need, not what I need.

As our rabbits live in tractors on grass all year they rarely touch the hay. The order of preference is grass, green cabbage leaf (1 each daily), pellets and then hay.

The grass has just held up enough for them this winter so day 1 it's grass and a cabbage leaf, day 2 grass, cabbage leaf and a few pellets. They move on day 3 so it's a repeat after that.

We've used about 3lb of hay since last August mainly from them playing with it, and they don't seem to touch the straw bedding at all.

Our nursing doe Pixie is motoring through pellets at the moment but that's to be expected.

With mine they are picky and spoiled.

The buck wont touch hay if there are pellets available, but he will chew wood and cardboard constantly.

The baby doeling LOOOVES hay, but loves throwing it around the cage almost as much. I am not sure how much she is actually eating.

My older does will REJECT hay if it is too stemmy!! They prefer orchard grass hay mixed with alfalfa--that got every bit eaten, with minimal wastage. The timothy mostly ends up on the ground for the chickens. They are digging to the bottom looking for something better.

The grow outs just EAT. They might try eating the chickens if they could reach them.

Mine seem to eat more hay in the colder weather and then in warmer weather they waste it so normally in spring, summer, and fall they get grass and weeds and just hay in winter.

Latest posts

Back