How many pounds per day per rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Assuming a mix of tree, shrub, weed and grass, roughly how many pounds per day per rabbit?

I am trying, in a limited space, to grow as much as poss. to cut my dependence on oil fueled feeds but, without even a rough guide, its hard to know if they are getting enough.

The guinea pigs were easy enough to know if they had enough but the rabbits seem trickier somehow. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:47 am __________ <br /><br /> Any bunny?

To tell you the truth I do not know. :shrug: Why not experiment with a pound a day for the next week and check the spine bumps every couple of days? If they get a little thin bump it up by a half pound at a time, checking every few days till they seem to be where you want them.

Just guessing here, but based on the general guideline of 1oz pellets per pound of weight, I would figure at least triple or quadruple that because of the water content of fresh foods... so a pound and a half to two pounds for an 8lb rabbit?

It is a starting point, at least... but due to the varied nature of weeds and greens, you will need to run your hands over them to check condition frequently.

Personally- I doubt a rabbit on fresh feed would get overweight (unless you were feeding a lot of fruit), so I would just gather and weigh some greens and then give them as much as they will finish. That will give you a baseline to work with, remembering that in cold weather they will need a bit more to keep in condition.

Sagebrush":1s3zn5kl said:
Thank you for putting it a lot better than I managed.

You might actually be closer, with a pound- the water content is going to vary by plant, and it also depends on what nutrients are available in each. Because of the variables, they need to be offered a variety daily and I think that it would be best if they actually had some leftovers so that they can pick and choose to better meet their daily needs.

I think MaggieJ usually has a buck and two or three does in her colony, and gathers a 5 gallon bucket of weeds daily for them.

That is a good place to start, thanks guys! :D

I have 10 rabbits who are no longer needed so are in my fattening row. Shall choose a few of them and see how it goes. Mostly right now I have canna lilies (ginger and banana relative) and LOTS of passion flower vine and some wild grape and Spanish needle. All of which they eat quite happily so shall see how they do on that list plus grass from weeding the veg plot. Salt lick in a holder and anything else I might have missed?

You need more than salt. Pastured animals not on commercial feed will carve deep grooves in mineral rich soil and wild animals can choose what plants they need. I would feed a soft mineral block or loose mineral. I have also converted my salt source to blocks of naturally mined Himalayan salt with many trace minerals.

akane":2kdlgkdx said:
You need more than salt. Pastured animals not on commercial feed will carve deep grooves in mineral rich soil and wild animals can choose what plants they need. I would feed a soft mineral block or loose mineral. I have also converted my salt source to blocks of naturally mined Himalayan salt with many trace minerals.

So the red salt block isn't good enough? Bugger! I still have about 40 pounds left from the block I bought. Guess it might make a messy door stop? :lol:

Those hard blocks are nearly all salt and meant to supplement livestock feed. You need a broader mineral mix that easier to eat and lower in salt. They are going to ingest far more salt than they need trying to get the minerals. Another thing about the salt content is that large livestock sweat in the heat and need to replace salt. Rabbits do not.

akane":z70e9wmz said:
Those hard blocks are nearly all salt and meant to supplement livestock feed. You need a broader mineral mix that easier to eat and lower in salt. They are going to ingest far more salt than they need trying to get the minerals. Another thing about the salt content is that large livestock sweat in the heat and need to replace salt. Rabbits do not.

That does make sense, esp. the no sweating bit. They are getting a mix of weeds and pellets right now and, when I get the minerals the pellets will be fazed out.

I don't know if its even poss. to raise enough feed in a back yard for 10 rabbits, never mind 50, but even a pellet reduction can be counted as a win.

Latest posts

Back