How many breeder bucks and does do you have?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petlover500

Reaction score
How many does and bucks do you have per breed?
Do you use your buck on multiple does?
How many hutches/cages do you house them in?
What number of rabbits works well for you and keeps your rabbitry running smoothly?

I currently have one ND doe, and am trying to figure out what will work best for my rabbitry when buying bucks and other does.
2 does and one buck? One doe and one buck? 3 does and 1 buck? 3 does and 2 bucks? So many choices!!! :shock:

I would love to hear how many does and bucks y'all have, and what works best for you.

:lilbunny: -Pl

My numbers vary; at any one time I have between 50 and 60 adult rabbits between Mini Rex, Holland Lops, and Standard Rex. I have had up to 200 adults at one time, and I don't wish to have that many again simply because my life style would not permit it. My absolute max would be 100. I have phased out many breeds over the years and stuck with these (had a sell out period in between that I really wish I'd never done as I lost all my work except for a single HL brood doe). I'm looking at VL or ND as a different change of pace again, I've had both but when I sold out for a some months a few years back I never found what I wanted and the lions kind of fell into my lap at the time. I have no set number of bucks vs does; I keep the BEST type I have for my goals and buy the best I can afford to when I need to bring in better as some things I just can't fix with the genes I have in breedings. They are housed separately in well kept stackers or long singles inside a big building. Every single one gets time out in a run or the fenced yard, not at the same times as they fight. I've *never* had any of them to get along when I tried, and they are too valuable to me to take those sorts of risks on a regular basis so about the 8th pair that broken into a fight I stopped trying. Its a cycle through the day and no one is ever left to where they could easily get out or some thing get them. The only ones ever housed together are moms and babies until they are old enough to wean, then babies are moved out in pairs until all are in one larger junior cage. I make cuts on choices starting at 3 weeks of age if I need a particular sex, 4 on some type things I know show early because I know the lines, again at 10 weeks and again at 5 to 6 months plus another after they finish out (I have some lines that take 2 years to mature ugh). I base my parings and breedings after my goals; show quality offspring and bettering the type I have. I have not had many litters this year as I'd hoped for, so I'm farther behind in what my "plan" was. Ideally, 85% of my rabbits would be rotated out by the end of a year...but its not going to happen this year. Need to sit down and write up a plan, even if its just on scratch of what you want in a year, 6 months, what you plan to breed for over all, what you'd like to see in a 2-3 year span even, perhaps even smaller monthly goals. Its more or less some thing to keep you looking forward even with set backs, because that wanted and waited for litter from your fav doe could be all peanuts 3x before getting a live singlton that doesn't make weaning for example....

My 2015 goals were:
Rotate out 85% of my stock-not going to happen
Show at at least 5 shows-I was able to go to 2 but no one was in condition to compete
Cut lionheads-that I have managed to do, the last leave tomorrow and there will be one buck left as a pet, he's getting old and I just can't part with him
Paint/redo rabbitry from top to bottom (new cages, water system, etc)-its in the works, hopefully by the end of the year will have it done even though its only temp until I move to the panhandle in the spring/summer
Replace all "pancake" harlequins and tri colors in all breeds-sadly not done, no good kits no keepers and I have had no keepers

Goals for 2016:
Relocate and remodel as needed for max 75 holes not including 10 runs for juniors
Breed for at least 3-4 litters per month; rotate out 90% of stock by end of year
Replace all "pankcake" type rabbits for all breeds/colors
Show at at least 4 shows with "best" of my rabbitry in solid condition
Register all senior pedigreed stock in all breeds

Other goals I need to complete, sooner than later:
Set next month's breeding schedule
Breed does that I need to
Worm
Go through junior MR litters
Photograph all current stock and redesign site
Write articles and publish
Look for a more reliable food source that does not have corn in it (Nutrina I was looking into has corn, my rabbits have not been fed corn for generations now and I do not think they would fair well with it)
Reduce my number of similar typed bucks/does

Wow, that is crazy! You truly are a large quantity rabbit breeder!
I think the most breeding rabbits I will ever had is 15-20 max... Maybe not even that.
I just can't handle a large herd with my life style, especially when I am living with my parents. But someday hopefully I will have "lots" of does and make some pretty babies!

How long have you been breeding? How much space do the cages take up? It seems like it would take a while to accumulate that much breeding rabbits, and have the space for them!!

I'm still getting started. However, for my breeds I have:

Cinnamons: 2 does, 2 bucks

Silverfox: 2 does, 1 buck - looking for another/replacement buck

Jersey woolys: 2 does, 1 buck - had a litter born recently and I plan on retiring my current buck & replace him with one of those kits.

I'd like 5-6 does per breed, and 2-3 bucks. However right now I'm getting started, not all of them are breeding even and it's winter so not looking to add much more to the rabbitry.

Generally you want more does than bucks, but your buck is far more important than your does so you must have a good foundation buck.

Started with 2 does & 1 buck. Now have 7 does & 2 bucks. Only have one breed - Rex.

Cool, guys!

I am thinking now maybe for a few years I will stick to either 2 does and 1 buck, or 4 does and 2 bucks :)
As of now I'm thinking of the colors I would like to breed most:
Chinchilla, blue, tortoise shell, blue otter, chocolate, orange, black silver marten, and some of those colors in broken :p

Right now I have:
5 Harlequins: 3 does and 2 bucks. Looking to fill my empty cages with more of those when I start getting lots of magpies to choose from.

Jersey wooly, 2 does - non breeding
Velveteen lops, Mucky and Sushi - non-breeding

My herd had to be trimmed way back when I started working full time.

Rebel.Rose.Rabbitry":2mdf5n0c said:
My 2015 goals were:
Rotate out 85% of my stock-not going to happen
Show at at least 5 shows-I was able to go to 2 but no one was in condition to compete
Cut lionheads-that I have managed to do, the last leave tomorrow and there will be one buck left as a pet, he's getting old and I just can't part with him
Paint/redo rabbitry from top to bottom (new cages, water system, etc)-its in the works, hopefully by the end of the year will have it done even though its only temp until I move to the panhandle in the spring/summer
Replace all "pancake" harlequins and tri colors in all breeds-sadly not done, no good kits no keepers and I have had no keepers

Goals for 2016:
Relocate and remodel as needed for max 75 holes not including 10 runs for juniors
Breed for at least 3-4 litters per month; rotate out 90% of stock by end of year
Replace all "pankcake" type rabbits for all breeds/colors
Show at at least 4 shows with "best" of my rabbitry in solid condition
Register all senior pedigreed stock in all breeds

Other goals I need to complete, sooner than later:
Set next month's breeding schedule
Breed does that I need to
Worm
Go through junior MR litters
Photograph all current stock and redesign site
Write articles and publish
Look for a more reliable food source that does not have corn in it (Nutrina I was looking into has corn, my rabbits have not been fed corn for generations now and I do not think they would fair well with it)
Reduce my number of similar typed bucks/does

I never thought of setting goals like that for my rabbitry. Thanks for the inspiration, Rebel.Rose!

And pl500, right now I have 8 does and 3 bucks, plus 8 youngsters. Holland Lops :) I used to have between 20-30 breeding animals and then 3 or 4 litters of 5-11 as well at one time. I've cut way back and I am enjoying it more. I think I'll probably get more room, since it is hard to see how your animals turn out if you don't have room to "just keep" some to see how they grow up.

I love holland lops! I housed one for my friend for 4 months before :p
But I have heard they can be frustrating to breed, lol! :x :D
I have Netherlands and they are pretty small rabbits... I like small breeds :)

I've found mine to be good moms, catch basically every time, calm bunnies, ADORABLE kits ( nothin's cuter then a 3 week old with lopped ears...:)) hardly ever lose a litter, hardly ever have kits on the wire. Must be what breeders breed up from and what bloodlines they have.

Petlover500 I can tell you love talking rabbits and that very cool. Guess we all do tho :lol: We have four mixed does a one nzw buck. Tho the kids want to keep every bunny they see, that being said I have two very nice 14 week old does that I haven't been able to send to the freezer yet :x. I told myself 3 does tops but the miss and my girls had to have lil butterscotch! Now she says I mess with them to much lol. Have built four more hutches this year! My does are in a wire cage I've had for 25 years tho it has a New floor in it and I didn't have rabbits for 10 years. I have two brothers that have more rabbits than we do. So I get to see and talk all the rabbit I want :campfire: anyway don't have any idea how many we will end up with maybe 6 or 7 and two bucks. I know I I'm very proud of my rabbits they have had a ton of bunnies and I'm just like a kid again every litter. O and welcome to rabbit talk petlover500 :D

CanadianWinter":344zxdx6 said:
I've found mine to be good moms, catch basically every time, calm bunnies, ADORABLE kits ( nothin's cuter then a 3 week old with lopped ears...:)) hardly ever lose a litter, hardly ever have kits on the wire. Must be what breeders breed up from and what bloodlines they have.
Awww, they sound adorable! :D
Only one doe I have had has had a litter... and she was a horrible mom :x :lol:

Dwc77":344zxdx6 said:
Petlover500 I can tell you love talking rabbits and that very cool. Guess we all do tho :lol: We have four mixed does a one nzw buck. Tho the kids want to keep every bunny they see, that being said I have two very nice 14 week old does that I haven't been able to send to the freezer yet :x. I told myself 3 does tops but the miss and my girls had to have lil butterscotch! Now she says I mess with them to much lol. Have built four more hutches this year! My does are in a wire cage I've had for 25 years tho it has a New floor in it and I didn't have rabbits for 10 years. I have two brothers that have more rabbits than we do. So I get to see and talk all the rabbit I want :campfire: anyway don't have any idea how many we will end up with maybe 6 or 7 and two bucks. I know I I'm very proud of my rabbits they have had a ton of bunnies and I'm just like a kid again every litter. O and welcome to rabbit talk petlover500 :D
That is awesome! I would never be able to "send bunnies to the freezer", lol! :x :lol:
I am the only one that has rabbits in my family. I only have 3 does and 5 6 week old kits right now, and everyone thinks I am rabbit crazy! :shock: :p
Thanks for the welcome, I do love talking about rabbits!! ;) :D :bunnyhop:

I have 3 does and 1 buck. Used to be 4 does and 2 bucks. All Holland Lops. I am in school and my 10 year old daughter plays soccer and goes to also. We live in town and just don't have the time or space right now to get much bigger. I do have one empty cage, and that is reserved for any kits who don't sell. I really need another one so that I can separate the girls from the boys, but right now its a non issue:)

That sounds like a lovely little rabbitry!

I have been wanting to maybe do lionheads as well as NDs.... but I dont have room right now. But, I have had my eye on this hutch!
I find it fairly cheap for its fanciness and rominess :p

It looks like a good deal:) I love my Bucks coloring and he's young, so I hope to use him for a while. I also find we enjoy our rabbits more if the heard stays smaller.....

I have my eye on this one .... x2

rabbitechcategory.jpg

:p :p

Yeah , I think I would get filled full of hot lead when my other half found out I spent that much $$$ on those stupid rabbits.

Ramjet":3bthcwlj said:
I have my eye on this one .... x2

rabbitechcategory.jpg

:p :p

Yeah , I think I would get filled full of hot lead when my other half found out I spent that much $$$ on those stupid rabbits.
Oh my gosh :shock: Those racks are HUGE!! :p
If I was to do a large rabbitry in the future, I may have to consider :D
In the summer my garage is much too hot for rabbits though... unless I air conditioned it, lol.

HansenHomestead":3bthcwlj said:
Hey Ramjet, can you add the link to that beauty, please?
Found it :)
https://www.kwcages.com/cages/rabbitech.html

Petlover500":3djdbvpo said:
Wow, that is crazy! You truly are a large quantity rabbit breeder!
I think the most breeding rabbits I will ever had is 15-20 max... Maybe not even that.
I just can't handle a large herd with my life style, especially when I am living with my parents. But someday hopefully I will have "lots" of does and make some pretty babies!

How long have you been breeding? How much space do the cages take up? It seems like it would take a while to accumulate that much breeding rabbits, and have the space for them!!

LOL I'm not really what most consider "large", small in number actually. The other MR breeders I know that do well have a few more holes for just their MR...some have a few less but not a lot. I feel quite small when they start talking and not as "serious" some times as they are. The number evens out to about 4 Standard Rex spots, 35 Holland, and another 20 or so for Mini Rex. I've got empty spots set for certain breeds, one day need to actually count. I focus more on do I have what I want to get what I want than the number right now. I guess that goes with all breeds though as far as the numbers to seriousness equals out; every one has a different opinion on what is "serious" to them, some can be nice and some can be errm nasty about it.

I started in 2001 with purebred Holland Lop pair, broken chocolates. New nothing about type etc, just thought they were cute. Lost them before I even got a litter out of them sadly. My VERY first breeding rabbits though were some time before that, Easter present of some big ol' angry biting lop doe that was a pretty chinchilla color (think some kind of Mini Lop/French cross, she was huge...or maybe just to an 8 or so yr old she was huge lol). I wish I'd gotten pictures of her and too long ago for me to remember a lot of details on her.

They take up a lot of space, reason why I errm took over a whole building for myself LOL. It was a garage, and originally only had a few cages in them. Sizes vary from 24x24 up to 3ft by 8 ft. The 3x8 I'm getting ready to take down as the Standard litter I had has been moved on and its no longer needed. Majority are 24x24 (inches not feet). I have no solid bottom cages for the rabbits. Most of ramps/trays for waste, others drop to dirt floor box I clean out. I can't put them really high or really low, hard to get into. I have rope lights up now to make things easier (cheaper too). There's lots of things I'd like to do to it to make it better, but could be worse. Runs I have outside, 3 single runs that are 10 feet by 2 feet and then the fenced yard that is 25 feet by 25 feet....they can really be a handful in that much space if they don't wanna go up at night or when I have to do some thing else and they have to go up.

Doesn't take long at all, most of the does IF they'd have litters (I've not bred them, health issues of my own so having multiple litters to handle/care for was out of the question) would make the adult numbers look small. Most of them will have 6-8 at one time, and the majority I keep are does at the moment. SO if I would actually breed all at once...I'd shortly pull my hair out lol. This is why I'm a bit particular in planning etc, want to have some idea of what I want to do way before I do it and what I really hope for in litters so I can plan for shows.

I know I need to go through them some time soon, reduce numbers for winter. Its not so much that its going to be cold in the building (heater) but that getting feed in this area during snowy months can be a pain and not having as many can make the same feed allotment for the month go a much further. Not that if I need to get more feed I can't, just having self limits helps keep things reasonable and keeps me pointed in one direction with out getting the cute bunny blinds on. There is nothing like a box full of harlequin hollands with smushy faces and trying to decide if really need to keep the whole litter...lol. Now if I didn't have goals and a rabbit budget, I'd get lazy and not go through the barn as should too and then I wouldn't go forward with showing/breeding.

Back