How long does it take you to disassemble a rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are different ways of jointing a rabbit. Many people quarter them. Others divide them into different parts: loin, hind legs, front legs, rib cage, belly flaps. It basically means cutting the rabbit into serving pieces - usually at a joint.

That is the technique that I use, it just doesn't go that fast for me. Practice makes perfect, right? I have only deboned a few at this point.

Not sure how long it takes me since we've only done 1 rabbit so far!

But I'll try and keep track of that this next time we butcher some (hopefully this weekend or sooner!).

I've watched a couple of video's on you tube about de-boning a rabbit and I'm quite intimidated by it! Not sure I'm ready to attempt that yet, lol.

mystang89":2u25xuud said:
Good video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ud68Qmdyc

I don't like him. He made it look too easy.

:evil: Tell me about it! My first one took FORTYFIVE MINUTES! :evil:

The second one went faster, but I have yet to try a third. :angry:

Don't worry though, Mystang :encourage: ...

I don't think he's so talented... it must be his $500 ultra-sharp-slices-through-bricks-like-butter knife. ;)

MamaSheepdog":1b3i9wt6 said:
I don't think he's so talented... it must be his $500 ultra-sharp-slices-through-bricks-like-butter knife. ;)

I figured it must be the same guy I watched, clicked the link and sure enough! :lol:

Wish I had knives like that! :p

MamaSheepdog":3oql7zwr said:
mystang89":3oql7zwr said:

:lol: haha, yep, that's what we'll go with. :cool:

mystang89":3clmeppp said:
MamaSheepdog":3clmeppp said:

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! :twisted:

I did time myself a few times, about 10minutes to butcher (most of that is waiting for them to drain), then I put them in the fridge in a ziploc back of salt water for 2-3 days. When I butcher I put all the blood, the liver, lungs, kidneys and other edible internal organs go to the chickens (we are not organ eaters), so that goes in one bucket and inedibles in another (chickens won't eat the intestines, etc. unless it's a very young I usually cook them whole, though I have deboned a few I am down to about 15 minutes to debone. All of this is done with a decently sharp boning knife, I used to use a filet knife for everything but I have found I'm a little faster with the heavier knife so that's what I go with now.<br /><br />__________ Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:15 pm __________<br /><br />
mystang89":2es3gh1v said:
MamaSheepdog":2es3gh1v said:
mystang89":2es3gh1v said:

Can I be his wife?

Well if it were a contest, bet I could do better....but it's not. Unless you want to have one? I'm game. :mrgreen: Love contests. :D

Bowbuild

;) I can do roughly ten young rabbits per hour. If I have older bucks...it definately take me longer. It is harder to skin them out!!! {I hate doing older bucks} But, I whack them apart another time and bag them for the freezer. My husband was so kind to make a "hanging rack" that mounts on the wall over an elevated tub with a hand held shower. I get the luxury of processing indoors. I process alot of rabbits as we raw feed our dogs. Usually 25 plus rabbits at a time. I have been processing for 76 years now. I use a CO2 tank connected to a small cooler and kill 5 at a time, 60 seconds total til they are comatose/dead.<br /><br />__________ Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:42 pm __________<br /><br />PS... My husband sharpens all my knives prior to processing; this is a plus for being able to do more quickly. Plus I am hanging five over the tub and ltting them drain as I am working on another.

MamaSheepdog":xfu6z1fb said:
mystang89":xfu6z1fb said:

OMG me too somewhere around 30-45min (didn't time myself) Did it 2 weeks ago and boy did I suck. It looked sooo easy but it was soo hard.. the easiest part was getting the meat off the ribs, after that? pah.. AND as careful s I was I still somehow ended up with a couple tiny bone bits in my meat.. and that hurts your teeth! :evil: I wish I had those ultra sharp knives!

I thought the hardest part was the shoulder blades actually but now that I see the video posted above I see I did them wrong... I will admit when I deboned I had a large solid hunk of meat but the legs tore off on three of them lol so I just tore the other two off and did a pile of leg meat (cut up for rabbit stew) and I cut up the rest for tacos yum

that was one fatty rabbit. It looked to be a little older than my 12 week old fryers. One issue I have is with the ribs; they're always a little flimsy. The ribs in this video seemed a little more rigid.

Back