How do I get this genetically?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainrabbits

Reaction score
Does anyone know what I would have to breed to get coloration like this? This buck is New Zealand/Harlequin/? cross and I love his coat! If I could somehow get this consistently I would love to breed a line of rabbits from him. What do I breed to to get this though?

Attachments

• NZharlequincrossbuck.jpg
    NZharlequincrossbuck.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 571
Breed him to a black NZ or a Harlequin and then breed the babies back to him. He is awfully pretty looking! And I'm no expert on genetics so my advice is a best guess.

Hummmm

He actually looks like a stained magpie as I have never seen such a faded orange in a harlequin and he is a buck after all :)

Do you own this rabbit? Can you clarify if he is orange/cream and black or if he's white and black?

Genetically a harlequin is A_ B_ C_ D_ ej_ while magpie is A_ B_ cchd_ D_ ej_

The fastest way to get more would to breed him to a red or fawn (if he's harlequin) or a frosty (if he's a magpie) as you'll get them in the first generation, otherwise breeding to a chestnut ( if a harli) and a chinchilla (if a magpie) and breeding him back to his daughters is the way to go.

Unfortunately the pattern is nearly impossible to replicate as the rabbit you breed him to will have different modifiers and could create a completely different brindling pattern

Dood":1xj24u5n said:
Hummmm

He actually looks like a stained magpie as I have never seen such a faded orange in a harlequin and he is a buck after all :)

Do you own this rabbit? Can you clarify if he is orange/cream and black or if he's white and black?

Genetically a harlequin is A_ B_ C_ D_ ej_ while magpie is A_ B_ cchd_ D_ ej_

The fastest way to get more would to breed him to a red or fawn (if he's harlequin) or a frosty (if he's a magpie) as you'll get them in the first generation, otherwise breeding to a chestnut ( if a harli) and a chinchilla (if a magpie) and breeding him back to his daughters is the way to go.

Unfortunately the pattern is nearly impossible to replicate as the rabbit you breed him to will have different modifiers and could create a completely different brindling pattern

I don't own him but I am interested in getting him because of his coat pattern, his first litter (with a nzw doe) is a couple days old now and the lady said she would post pictures of the kits on her facebook :D She doesn't know if she is really getting out of rabbits or not but he is just so pretty! I want him or more accurately I want many pelts like his to use in my sewing :p
I actually don't like harlequin patterned rabbits much...but I could send all the ones not like this to freezer camp with no temptation to keep them so that might help both my freezer fill up and my cage space stay productive with only the colors I want ;) I would love to get brokens like this in blue and chocolate as well. So pretty I can already imagine all the things I want to make them into!
This is the picture she sent me of his other side if that helps. I guess his mom was a broken chinchilla if that helps? I was hoping if I got a buck or doe colored like this and bred them to a solid chinchilla I might get more like this...thoughts?<br /><br />__________ Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:55 pm __________<br /><br />Oh and I should add that the other rabbits in the cage are not his littermates at all-they had all their breeding bucks in a cage together for some reason so there is a nzw buck, cute grumpy looking fat faced chinchilla buck, tri colored rex buck and then the pretty nz/harli crossed buck.

Attachments

• nzharliquinbuckside2.jpg
    nzharliquinbuckside2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 516
He's definitely a magpie, which is a chinchilla with the harlequin and/or non-extension genes. Because his mother was a broken chin he likely only has one harli gene and one non-extension and I don't believe he is a broken.

Blue magpies just come out with a lighter grey and don't resemble blue self at all - Google the rabbit colour 'squirrel' or 'dilute chinchilla' to get an idea

Chocolate also won't work in magpies as they completely lack any yellow pigments -google 'chocolate chinchilla'

Dood":32cw8lk0 said:
He's definitely a magpie, which is a chinchilla with the harlequin and/or non-extension genes. Because his mother was a broken chin he likely only has one harli gene and one non-extension and I don't believe he is a broken.

Blue magpies just come out with a lighter grey and don't resemble blue self at all - Google the rabbit colour 'squirrel' or 'dilute chinchilla' to get an idea

Chocolate also won't work in magpies as they completely lack any yellow pigments -google 'chocolate chinchilla'

But... I've seen chocolate magpies. I've also seen chocolate self chins. The chin gene acts by removing yellow pigment; is the "yellow" different from the "brown" pigment of chocolate-colored animals? It seems like it must be; otherwise it really would be impossible to get chocolate self chins or magpies.

But... I've seen chocolate magpies.
they exist but they don't look chocolate but more like coffee or cream.

Any self can hide chinchilla except if they are also homozygous for japanese harli and / or non extension

I have chocolate chins. We refer to them as beige, because they don't really look chocolate at all.

I thought O/B was Japanese Harlequin and W/B was Magpie Harlequin.....both are Harlequin....

Birds Buns N Bees":fqarcxzh said:
But... I've seen chocolate magpies. I've also seen chocolate self chins. The chin gene acts by removing yellow pigment; is the "yellow" different from the "brown" pigment of chocolate-colored animals? It seems like it must be; otherwise it really would be impossible to get chocolate self chins or magpies.

Quick question-- when you say chocolate self chin, you mean a self rabbit carrying chin, right? Chocolate self chin and chocolate chin are not the same thing at all. As Dood says, a self chin is a self colored rabbit carrying the chin gene. So a self chin rabbit would usually be indistinguishable from a normal self. But to get a chocolate chin, that would requite the agouti gene.

OneAcreFarm":2myk02gb said:
I thought O/B was Japanese Harlequin and W/B was Magpie Harlequin.....both are Harlequin....
The Japanese harlequin gene "ej_ " turns fawns and reds into orange and black, and they are called harlequins, and turns frostys (non extension chinchilla) into magpies.

Dood":2scy8ncl said:
OneAcreFarm":2scy8ncl said:
The Japanese harlequin gene "ej_ " turns fawns and reds into orange and black, and they are called harlequins, and turns frostys (non extension chinchilla) into magpies.

oh, so...that's how to get those colors...never worked with em, but I really like magpies, an I might want mutts that color some day

Latest posts

Back