How do I deal with this injury?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quintex

Reaction score
Hey guys.. I have an 8 week old kit who got in a fight with his littermate. The injury is under the eye and the eye itself does not appear to be damaged, just some skin torn off around the eye. Sorry for taking the worst pictures ever but I didn't want to stress him out more than he already was. He appears quite depressed looking in the photo since he's squinting his eye, but is acting normal otherwise.

injury01.jpg

injury02.jpg

injury03.jpg

Sooo.. what should I do? :wall:

keep it clean, let it heal. that's what I would suggest.

put him by himself.

are you keeping him as a breeder or planning on using him for other purposes?

use an antibiotic meant for eyes on the area. Liquid antibiotic eye drops are very gentle, and safe for the area

ladysown":317m5lmo said:
keep it clean, let it heal. that's what I would suggest.

put him by himself.

are you keeping him as a breeder or planning on using him for other purposes?
Okay, sounds good.. that is pretty much what I thought I should do and he/she (I haven't bothered really checking yet). I separated the litter once I realized what happened. I was actually hoping to keep this one.<br /><br />__________ Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:23 am __________<br /><br />
Frosted Rabbits":317m5lmo said:
use an antibiotic meant for eyes on the area. Liquid antibiotic eye drops are very gentle, and safe for the area
I do have some terramycin eye ointment, but no liquid eye antibiotic. Is that the same thing you are referring to?

I've never heard of the drops FR is referring too, but I think everybody is stressing using eye safe antibiotics in case any of it gets in the eye itself. If you can find the drops, I would think it would be more comfortable for the bun to drip or spray something on the wound as opposed to dabbing ointment on. Make sure that whatever you use does not contain steroids, as they inhibit healing.

Personally, I would use the Vetricin Spray I have for the horses- I wouldn't want to actually touch the wound, and the blink reflex would keep the spray out of the eye.

I had a half grown cat that had it's face ripped partially open under the eye, and it looked far worse than that. It was one of the ones that allow us to look, but not touch... basically wild. I couldn't treat the injury at all, and it eventually healed up on its own.

I hope everything turns out okay!

*I've had neighbors use plain neosporin in the eyes of kittens with bad "nest box eye" with good result, since they had nothing specifically for eyes. Personally, I just clean the gunk out with warm water on a paper towel, and it clears up quickly on its own.

i find the generally speaking.. as long as you keep it clean and keep the animal isolated, animals heal up quite quickly from skin damage like this. it is more difficult in the summer when there are flies and what not about...then you want to keep the animal away from flies or put a fly deterrent on the animal. But they often heal up without a lot of medical intervention.

quintex":17x5b11z said:
I do have some terramycin eye ointment, but no liquid eye antibiotic. Is that the same thing you are referring to?

that would work-- apply to eye and the wound- that way, you are covered for both areas. Do be sure to use aseptic technique when applying

At least it's at a time of year when there aren't likely to be blowflies around to do further damage.

Latest posts

Back