How did I get this? Pictures added of babies now!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Point Rabbitry

Reaction score
I bred a tri colored (orange/black/white ) doe to a broken black buck. And I got 3 solid blacks, 1 broken orange something and a broken black. How does THAT math work?!

Doe's dam: is a lilac tort: who's parents are black and black tort
Sire is: broken seal: who's parents are seal and broken sable point

I don't know what colors are on the buck's side because I don't have his pedigree...

you can get solids from two brokens...happens all the time.

what you got makes total sense to me.

Broken orange from the tri, solid and broken black from tri and broken black,

A regular broken is one broken gene and one solid gene. The only way to get 100% broken is to use a charlie that has 2 broken genes and barely any color.

Totally possible - just not probable

How old are the kits? If only a few days then the solid blacks may turn into chestnuts :mrgreen: Chestnuts, and fawns, are not possible

Pictures please

EDIT

Wait a minute

Doe's dam: is a lilac tort: who's parents are black and black tort
Sire is: broken seal: who's parents are seal and broken sable point
with these parents your doe must be a torted Tri colour and you cannot have a fawn coloured kit

They were born April 29, so are 9 days old. Those kits are definitely black :)

I'm just confused as to why I got 3 solid blacks and only 2 brokens, since both parents are brokens :shock:

I've attached a picture of the doe...she's only got a couple spots of black, so looks more tort. You can see a black spot on her left ear, in the head shot :) What color, genetically then, is she?

If it helps at all, her sisters were:
a broken black,
another one same color as her, just had a bit more black spots,
and one was a seal.

__________ Fri May 08, 2015 5:08 pm __________

And I'll try get pictures of my fat lill' cute buns soon! :) They're adorable :D

Attachments

• _DSC5488.jpg
    _DSC5488.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 766
If it wasn't for that one spot on her ear I wouldn't think she had the harli gene

Genetically she is a broken tort with a harlequin gene (= aa B_ C cchl D_ ej e ) instead of a broken fawn/orange with a harlequin gene (= A_ B_ C cchl D_ ej e)

Statistically 75% of the litter "should" have been broken (25% Charlie and 50% broken) and 25% solid but statistics is an average over many, MANY litters just like statistically you should get 50% female and 50% males but it rarely works out that way in individual litters :)

CanadianWinter":fb44css5 said:
I'm just confused as to why I got 3 solid blacks and only 2 brokens, since both parents are brokens :shock:

Because unless one of the parents is a genetic Charlie, each parent has one gene for solid and one gene for broken. To be broken, the rabbit only needs one copy of the "broken gene". If it gets two copies, it will be a genetic Charlie (very lightly marked, oftentimes with just a butterfly, color on the ears, and a couple scattered spots). If it doesn't get a copy of the broken gene, it will be a solid colored rabbit.

The parents each passed one copy of the solid gene to three of the kits.

Dood":159bqys8 said:
If it wasn't for that one spot on her ear I wouldn't think she had the harli gene

Genetically she is a broken tort with a harlequin gene (= aa B_ C cchl D_ ej e ) instead of a broken fawn/orange with a harlequin gene (= A_ B_ C cchl D_ ej e)

Okay, so what would I put her color in as in Evens Rabbit Register? :)

Dood":159bqys8 said:
Statistically 75% of the litter "should" have been broken (25% Charlie and 50% broken) and 25% solid but statistics is an average over many, MANY litters just like statistically you should get 50% female and 50% males but it rarely works out that way in individual litters :)

Lol, that's what I thought! Was wondering if what I knew about rabbit genetics had gone wonky :roll:

Yeah. 50/50 bucks/does. Not happening of late! My last 2-3 litters or so have been only does, hehe. Finally, I got a buck on my second newest litter :D

__________ Thu May 28, 2015 3:21 pm __________

Finally, I've got pictures to WORK on uploading to RabbitTalk of the remaining two bucks of her litter - the 3 blacks (which were blacks) died for some reason or another. Anyway, what's left is a black charlie and a broken tort of some kind, I believe. He has darker shading on his hips/ears/etc. But what color is he? And he's adorable :) Now his ears have lopped, and right now (like most baby Hollands) his type looks wonderful! :D

And what color is the dam called? Dood said she's a:
genetically a broken tort with a harlequin gene (= aa B_ C cchl D_ ej e ) instead of a broken fawn/orange with a harlequin gene (= A_ B_ C cchl D_ ej e)
But what is that called? I don't know what to put her in Evens as! :)

I'd say a broken black tort

As moms colour is not showable there is not a specific name for it -I'm not familiar with the Evans program cant you just type in the genotype?

Dood":39lzdmpd said:
I'd say a broken black tort

As moms colour is not showable there is not a specific name for it -I'm not familiar with the Evans program cant you just type in the genotype?

I kind of think he's too light for a black...I used to get black torts all the time, and I don't think he's one... :)

Yup, I can, I'm just not sure if it will mess the program up.

I'd also say broken black tort, they come in different shades, I've had some really orange and some much darker.

So I added the genotype Dood said the dam was, and here is what the program said she was (The program added in the genes of her offspring and of her ancestors to get this)

aaBbCcchlDdejeW-Enen

Does that make any sense? ( the "chl" is in that small type, kinda hanging off the "c". The "eje", the "j" is kind of blended into the first "e" and the "n" 's in the "Enen" are hanging off the "E and e".) <br /><br /> __________ Fri May 29, 2015 2:29 pm __________ <br /><br /> Bump...anyone? :)

Yes, it make sense .... sorta

Self
Black - but carries chocolate from lilac tort mother
Full colour - but carries sable from broken seal father
Not dilute - but carries blue from lilac tort mother
Harlequin (from her broken seal father ????) - but carries non extension from her lilac tort mother
Broken

Which equals a broken torted harlequin AKA torted Tri-colour that carries chocolate, dilute, and sable

Are you SURE she has a harlequin gene and that one spot on her ear is not a scar of mismark??

I'm sure. Her sister has more black on her then this girl. Their half brother through dam is a black/orange Harlequin.

Her dam has thrown black/orange harlequins before. Other colors their dam has thrown:
Torts
Siamese Sable
Black
Broken Seal
Sable point
Broken Harliquins
Tricolor (w/blk/G-Org)
Seal
Chestnut
Broken Black
Broken Orange (not sure if this was that though)

Other color sire has thrown:
Broken blacks
Black
Broken Seal
Sable Point
Tort Black
Broken Black Tort
Charlies
Tricolor (W/Blk/G-Org)
Seal
Broken Chestnut

Does that help any? :)

If the mother is a tort then she cannot secretly carry harlequin or else she would look like a harlequin - although she may be a very minimal marked one like your doe :shrug:

I don't know what effect harlequin will have on a seal but they are so dark it may be hidden like in blacks but I would expect a broken seal with the harli gene to have some odd marks that would indicate the genes presence as it is basically a tri colour magpie :)

This is getting REALLY confusing to me! :? I never noticed odd markings on the dam ( I looked back at picture of her and can't see any either) ...I'll try get a picture of the dam and a picture of this girl's sister uploaded. :) <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:50 pm __________ <br /><br /> Still can't get them uploaded! But over here is a picture of the doe's mom when she was young: http://i1.wp.com/cedarpointrabbitry.com ... CF2173.jpg

And this is a sister to her from awhile back: http://i2.wp.com/cedarpointrabbitry.com ... -05-27.jpg

Mother is a tort - not sure she is a lilac tort though - and I don't see any indication of harlequin

Sister is a black sable point - and I don't see any indication of harlequin

Latest posts

Back