How did I get Californian?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imogen Rose

Reaction score
I had a doe kindle a really interesting litter yesterday- it was a bit of a surprise! :p
The doe is chocolate tort, the buck is lilac tort. The kits are two chocolate torts, and two cali. One maybe chocolate and one may be lilac.

So my question is how did this happen? As this isn't supposed to happen- Only choc and lilac tort are allowed colours for the breed. The owners of the buck have never had a cali kit in a litter. I own the does dam, who is bred to the same buck- so is she going to have 50% cali kits too?

Is this a recessive gene in both the buck and the doe? So im assuming the does dam carries cali too?

If she just kindled yesterday then you don't know the eye color. They are probably sallander which is a tort with a chin (or cchd) gene. Chin is recessive so it can hide. What breed?

What breed?????????????????????????????
You keep saying you got cali kits, is that calico? I call californians cali but cali is a breed, not a color, so you surely wouldn't meant that.

Please folks, when making a post about your rabbits, PLEASE tell us what breed you are talking about. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:30 am __________ <br /><br /> Nevermind, I see the Californian in your title. So now I know you don't mean calico.
Once again, I will stress, we need to know the breed of rabbits you have.
But californian is a breed. If the parents aren't californians, the kits can't be.
That would be like breeding German shepherds and getting poodles.

One must carry the himilayan gene (all purebred Californians are the himalayan colour) and the other must carry the himalayan or the red eyed white gene

One of the rabbits parents must carry the himalayan gene so there is a 50/50 chance the grandsire and not the granddam carries the gene

I remember in this post post245363.html#p245363 you said one of your rabbits was a Californian cross which was rare in the UK - is he related to either of these rabbits?
Re: What would you call this rabbit?
Post Number:#10 Postby Imogen Rose » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:27 am
Thanks everyone :)
The chap in the last picture is a new addition last week, he very nearly got called Winston! We settled for Zebedee instead :p
They were a choc californian, lilac rex cross.
My problem with them atm. is snipey heads and faces. I need to find something with a brick head, and good fur. Thier fur is too short, and continuously in molt. I have had my adult doe since april, she has not been showable for more than a week in that time due to molt. I have been waiting for my babies to stop molting- they are 6mths and constantly molting, is this normal?
The problem is Clifornians are very rare in England now, I have found some solid lilac silver fox rex crosses that caught my eye... not sure what that would do to my fur though?

DBA":2livhm8o said:
You keep saying you got cali kits, is that calico? I call californians cali but cali is a breed, not a color, so you surely wouldn't meant that.

Please folks, when making a post about your rabbits, PLEASE tell us what breed you are talking about.

__________ Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:30 am __________

Nevermind, I see the Californian in your title. So now I know you don't mean calico.
But californian is a breed. If the parents aren't californians, the kits can't be.

Sometimes people refer to the Himalayan color as "Californian".

Sorry for not being clear :oops:

They are Sussex, the lilac torts are sussex creams, and the chocolate torts sussex golds.

The Sussex breed was created from crossing a lilac and chocolate californian 24 years ago. Would the himilayan colour have appeared now after being hidden for so long?

The kits are a week old, and have the beginings of points on their noses- I will get some pictures :)

cmfarm":1xcuki0s said:
DBA":1xcuki0s said:

Please folks, when making a post about your rabbits, PLEASE tell us what breed you are talking about.

__________ Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:30 am __________

Nevermind, I see the Californian in your title. So now I know you don't mean calico.

Sometimes people refer to the Himalayan color as "Californian".

Yes, in commercial breeds the Himalayan color is officially called Californiam, Cal for short. I raise Rex in Californian.
In dwarf breeds it's known as Himalayan, and the breed Himalayan, Himi for short.

In wool breeds it's Pointed White, and I think Hollands. I raised Jersey Wooly in Pointed White.

All are the same gene that makes Californians and Himilayans the color they are.

There are other breeds where the color is the name of the breed, and that same color exist as a variety in another breed. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:51 am __________ <br /><br />
Imogen Rose":1xcuki0s said:
The Sussex breed was created from crossing a lilac and chocolate californian 24 years ago. Would the himilayan colour have appeared now after being hidden for so long?

Recessives are forever

I'm sorry, I have just never heard of californian being a color, just a breed. I guess I learn something new every day.

DBA":hkvzrp1l said:
I'm sorry, I have just never heard of californian being a color, just a breed. I guess I learn something new every day.
lol
You should visit the Facebook group "backyard meat rabbits" people get New Zealand blacks and whites, American Chinchillas and Californians all in the same litter :shock:

Dood":ciuua8mc said:
DBA":ciuua8mc said:
lol
You should visit the Facebook group "backyard meat rabbits" people get New Zealand blacks and whites, American Chinchillas and Californians all in the same litter :shock:
Wow, now that momma rabbit must have been a real hussy, lol.

There is a breeder of Cal Rex in Florida, when someone called for Commercial Group at the table, was told the Cal was already on the table. She had to point out she had a Rex, not a Cal.

Back