how did he figure it out?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottontail

Reaction score
My dog learned how to open the refrigerator door. I came home today and found the door wide open and almost all the contents either in his stomach or all over the floor. not cool!!!

My Rotti x does that too, fridge, cupboards, garbage cans. She's awful where food is concerned. My kitchen garbage can is a steel outdoor can with a locking lid to keep her out of it.

Just cause you can't smell what's in the fridge from the outside doesn't mean your pooch can't! A hungry/motivated pooch will learn how to do all sorts of wonderful things.....mostly by trial and error, with a good heaping of dumb luck!

Like lifting the gate latch and letting himself out into the yard. I thought I had goofed and left it open until he goofed and did it in front of me :) Phoenix can no longer go to school with me, because she lifts the handles and leaves the class when I'm not there. She learned it by watching Chase.

Do you leave a dish towel in the handle? If yes mystery solved, if no is he a digger? Mine will dig to get stuff within reach.

Gate latches are solved by putting a lock through the hole part, even if you don't lock it, the dog can't open it.

For the fridge, you can put a child proof lock on it or set the dog up and wait until they go to open it, then correct them.

Some dogs are very food motivated, hope yours is ok after cleaning your fridge out.

LauraNJ":2pw85cdg said:
Gate latches are solved by putting a lock through the hole part, even if you don't lock it, the dog can't open it.

Or in my case, you solve it by putting a roof on the kennel. :)

I had an Aussie that would literally bounce over our 6 ft fence. He was a show off, he'd bounce over the fence in the front and go straight to the front door, sit and bark until we let him in. He was a very entertaining dog, just a clown.

LauraNJ":w7k75rwn said:

Not true- we had a GSD/wolf mix that learned to nose the lock until it fell out... we bought bigger, heavier locks, and he still did it. We finally started locking the padlocks, and then he learned to climb out by bracing his feet between the angles of the fence. Thankfully, he would only check on all the neighbors, and then come home and wait for us on the front porch.

I cant hang anything on the oven door handle, Marble pulls it down and "Cleans" it for me lil goober

Latest posts

Back