Hot weather & Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSC

Reaction score
I understand that when the bucks are in an environment over 85 drgs. they cna become sterile, but how long after temps fall below the 85 dgr mark would be advisable to start?

I don't think there is an exact time frame. I would think 48 hours would be plenty of time.

New sperm are produced continually and the excessive heat will not kill them all, just most of them, so litter size will be affected. You can try breeding but dont expect stellar results until the old sperm has been removed (either absorbed or released) and replaced by new ones a few days later.

On the same topic.. is it safe for the does to breed when it's consistently over 90 degrees and some days over 100? I have been giving all mine a break for the summer but I'm not sure when I can/should start back up. I've only got 3-4 campers left in the grow out pen depending on whether I keep one doe or two, and after BBQing some for the 4th the demand for them is being heard loud and clear.. :)

Cali I wouldn't risk it. In those temps rabbits could so easily go into heat stroke. Pregnant does are even more sensitive to the heat and thats if they became pregnant at all in those temps.

Cali":6evqae8k said:
is it safe for the does to breed when it's consistently over 90 degrees and some days over 100?

It is very risky, as Amy said.

I have three does due now, and another group a few days behind them. It is in the 90's. It was in the 100s just a couple of days ago. So far they are doing fine with a fan running in the rabbitry, and I did give them ice bottles on the hottest day.

I lost one doe about a month or two ago due to heat distress while pregnant. I almost lost another at the same time- she too was in distress, but I got her cooled down as best I could, and the next morning she had a nest full of wriggly kits. :)

I am breeding for "heat tolerance", because I want to be able to breed year round if possible. Unfortunately, the only way to do so is to take the chance and breed. The does that can't handle it die, sadly, but the ones that do kindle successfully and the resulting kits that make it through the heat should have better tolerance.

I figured it wasn't worth the risk at this point, just wanted to check. I would like to breed for heat tolerance eventually. Right now I just don't have enough rabbits to risk the loss. I'd love to know how your heat tolerance project goes MSD

Latest posts

Back