Hot Bunny Pictures?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karebru

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Forgive me if there's already a thread...

Too hot to binky!

de0bf57a-0684-43ae-a8f4-65bd991f6012.jpg

I need to start saving some bottles. It's been 20 degrees (Celsius) here the past couple of days and my house will start getting hot! The bunnies are indoors so I'll have to start remembering to close the curtains in the evening (they're on the west side of the house, where we get direct, hot evening sun).

Where are you?! It's April, it SNOWED today!
So, no "hot bunny" pics from me :p

karebru":2xsjpktf said:
Guess I jumped the gun a little for most folks. :oops:

It's supposed to hit 89 to 90 later this week, I have frozen gallon jugs and some 2 liter ready to go in..So yeah you are not the only one with HOT Bunns... :lol:

We are in hot, humid SE Texas...we quit using frozen bottles years ago. Shade, natural air flow and ventilation are your best friends in dealing with heat.

Homer":3973pohr said:
OneAcreFarm":3973pohr said:
We are in hot, humid SE Texas...we quit using frozen bottles years ago. ...
Why? Too much hassle or something else.
We're in hot, humid S Louisiana, and we quit using frozen bottles several years ago as well.

I think it was a post by Ladysown that got me to stop. She said that she didn't put bottles in unless it was going to hit triple digits, because she had worked to breed a heat-tolerant herd. So we continued bottles for the rest of the summer, went through the winter, and then never started bottles the next summer. It almost never gets to 100* here. It'll get close, and it'll be so humid that the heat index is well above 100*, but the actual temp hardly ever gets there.

Apparently, if you keep those that thrive in your climate and cull the rest, you will develop a line that is perfectly suited for your climate. Not that they'll ever enjoy the heat, but you can develop a line that can take it and maybe even keep breeding. So that's what I'm going to work on, now that I have something besides my little mutts. :)

I probably won't really have much to work on in that particular aspect, really, because all of my rabbits are from this gulf coast area anyway.

I'm guessing that's pretty close to OAF's reason, as well. :) The less needy the rabbits, the hardier they are, the better. Plus, once you have more than a few rabbits, you don't have enough freezer space to do ice bottles.

I understand what you're saying but triple digits are pretty common here. My Flemish Giants were from this area but at a much higher (and cooler) elevation. We were having trouble with young ones dropping from heat stroke even with ice bottles. :cry: They seemed to get confused and push the ice away rather than lay up next to it. That was when I said the heck with it and moved them all into my shop.

At least I can breed all year around now. :mrgreen:

It's below freezing at night all this week. When I was breeding the meat rabbits outside I did the opposite breeding for temp. After a few years mine were breeding through subzero winters. Good sized litters, amazing nests, and everything well fed. You can definitely breed to the climate.

I have ice bottle in the freezer waiting for a warm day. :)

It's not because my bunnies need them to survive mild PA summers.

Similar to the piles of straw I give them to lie on in winter(also not a necessity), and the fan in the rabbitry, the toys, and pinecones for chewing, it's just a little creature comfort that I am able to provide them, so I do.

I only have 10 permanent holes to give bottles to, and a chest freezer. So that part works out.

If I had 25 or 50 holes...Yeah, maybe not. ;)

Homer":191tq9ba said:
I understand what you're saying but triple digits are pretty common here. My Flemish Giants were from this area but at a much higher (and cooler) elevation. We were having trouble with young ones dropping from heat stroke even with ice bottles. :cry: They seemed to get confused and push the ice away rather than lay up next to it. That was when I said the heck with it and moved them all into my shop.

At least I can breed all year around now. :mrgreen:
Yes, if we had such temps regularly, we would definitely have to do something else.

Zass":191tq9ba said:
Similar to the piles of straw I give them to lie on in winter(also not a necessity), and the fan in the rabbitry, the toys, and pinecones for chewing, it's just a little creature comfort that I am able to provide them, so I do.
I understand that... I just didn't want to be in the position of having so hot a day and not being home to give the bottles out. And then losing rabbits who were used to having the bottles, because they didn't that day.

We do have a fan, though.

Our Rex doe will eat a pinecone every day if she has one. :roll:

Latest posts

Back