Horse hay?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So on Friday we are picking up a rescue pony and I just looked on CL to see what is available for local delivery.

:shock: There's a lot more available now than when I had horses and I am now confused.

Alicia, Russell, and tift-85 in round and square bales.

What is best for an old, thin-ish pony?

Ponies usually have trouble staying thin but if this one is skinny then his teeth may be rough shape or even missing, if so then feeding alfalfa pellets and a soft grass hay like orchard grass would be best.

I've never heard of theses types if hay.

Dood":1uizvy8z said:
Ponies usually have trouble staying thin but if this one is skinny then his teeth may be rough shape or even missing, if so then feeding alfalfa pellets and a soft grass hay like orchard grass would be best.

I've never heard of theses types if hay.
I used to use Alicia with my rabbits. It's a type of Bermuda grass.

I don't know about the pony, though. Good luck!

Alicia and Tift-85 are both types of Bermuda. I think Alicia is and am sure Tift-85 are varieties developed from the Coastal variety that originated at The Coastal Plains Experiment Station in Tifton, GA. All are very good livestock hays but cuttings of hay can vary greatly from the same field. Ask if they have had an analysis done.

A lot of horse owners here in CA are switching from alfalfa to bermuda grass hay because bermuda has lower protein than alfalfa. I usually feed alfalfa to my horses, but they occasionally do get grass hay. It is really messy to feed though, so I generally just keep a bale for the rabbit nest boxes.

When my daughter was given a 29 year old QH mare, she came to us thin. We gave her "nummy buckets" of soaked beet pulp, wheat bran, equine senior, All Stock, Calf Manna, probiotics, and vegetable oil. It really helps put weight on them.

I second getting his teeth checked. Most ponies can practically live on air, so unless they were almost starving him, he probably needs his teeth floated. Or he could just have a bad case of worms.

He has had his teeth done - two weeks ago - and been wormed as well.

He is also NOT a pony!

15.2 hands at a guess adn most likely only 15-18 years old.

I drove up and saw this pretty red bay adn thought, hmmmmm, wonder where my one is?

But nope, the big, pretty boyo was for me. :D

Took awhile to load but other than that he has been steller.

He came with a saddle but no bridle and his halter is busted so a trip to TSC tomorrow me thinks.

MamaSheepdog":1tip7gy9 said:
Oh boy! A horsey! :p

How's his weight?

Really good! He has gained quite a bit since getting his teeth done. Could stand to gain about 50 more but just because I like a fatso round butt.

I am so excited, by his picture I wouldnt have been able to ride him but in person he and I will fit really well. :D

Kids were a bit overwhelmed though, he is lots bigger than expected. :lol:

Yay! I'm glad he has gained some weight after the float. He should pack on the pounds pretty easy now. :)

Miss M":2uc7l1qa said:
A RED BAY??? :fainting:

Please... you must post pictures! Red bay is my favorite horse coloration...

Me too! :cool:

Now that my computer is up and running again as soon as I get over this poxy cold I shall be catching the shutter bug virus and LOTS of pictures of EVERYTHING shall be forthcoming.

Today though, I feel rotten. :(

Miss M":1klfbxym said:
Aw... sorry you feel so bad! :(

Get well quickly! :)

Thanks hon :D its just a bad cold but I just don't get a chance to stop so am tired too.

One day I will be able to just go to bed when ill, some day. :lol:

Latest posts

Back