Hoorah for the Hay Mustache!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
Today is day 30 for Feather, and her breeder says her does always kindle on the 30th day. I rushed out at 6:30 this morning to check for kits, and was so disappointed by an empty nest! Waaah!

When I fed, though, things started looking up! She was digging furiously in her nest, and then started gathering hay! Whoo-hoo! She hasn't started pulling fur yet, but she is always very good about it, so no worries. I am so excited, I'm hopping with happiness!
IMG_2643.JPGIMG_2646.JPG

Poppy is on day 29- I hope she got bred as well... never witnessed the act itself.

Pics soon for all you poor popple-deprived. <GRIN>

haha how cute! Glad shes showing signs of kindling soon. Yes and pics for us popple- deprived people lol

I read the subject line twice before clicking on it thinking "What is a hay mustache?"

AHA! Heee! :D Love it!

Congrats and yes, we need to see popple pictures as soon as Feather doesn't mind you poking a lens in her nest!

LOL When I read the thread title I thought you were unveiling your new hay rack design! Looking forward to popple pics as well!!!

Hahaha! I didn't mean to confuse everybody! The kids are cutting more grass for her- they can hardly keep up with her demand! LOL! Happy Hops! :)

Congrats. I have a similar situation. I haven't installed the nestbox yet, as she shouldn't be due until Monday - was planning on installing Friday. Should I go ahead and put in?

Yes, Lastfling, I think it would be a good idea to put it in now. Occasionally a doe will kindle early. Even if this is just "early nesting" behaviour, some does will pick a spot elsewhere (like a corner of the cage) and ignore the nest box if it is added later, after they have already started nesting. Putting it in now should keep this from happening. Be sure not to cover her potty corner... or she will see the nest box as a nice new toilet!

Thanks MaggieJ, I'll put in in tonight. Funny that the urine guard she's tearing up and has pulled the corner out of, is her potty corner.... The is the same doe that went 38 days last time - wound up having 3, and lost them all a week later. Hopefully, we'll fare better this time. It's not her first time around the block so to speak - so I'm hoping the coyotes that were howling pretty close to the barn the night her last litter was lost freaked her out and it won't happen again.. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread..

Lastfling":3t9aki9c said:
Congrats. I have a similar situation. I haven't installed the nestbox yet, as she shouldn't be due until Monday - was planning on installing Friday. Should I go ahead and put in?

Hopefully we'll both have full nests soon! Post pics for the Poppleless!

LOL! :lol: Good luck, and I hope you are blessed with lots of healthy, wiggly popples!

I love to see that. I'm not very good at palpating so it's often the first reassurance I have that a breeding took. My most experienced doe often carefully builds a nest then a couple of days later tears all the hay out and starts all over again. I guess the first one didn't pass inspection. :down:

hoodat":3nsnnqax said:
I love to see that. I'm not very good at palpating so it's often the first reassurance I have that a breeding took. My most experienced doe often carefully builds a nest then a couple of days later tears all the hay out and starts all over again. I guess the first one didn't pass inspection. :down:

Oh dear! I have a lot to learn- I didn't think they'd do that! Sounds like an obsessive housewife who rearranges the furniture every couple of days. Oh, wait... been there, done that!

Well, at least you know they are on the way soon, but my experience has been that once the nest is built, popples are hours away! Don't know if I could handle the strain of anticipation if they kept rebuilding. :)

Rabbits are all different. Some wait till the last minute and work fast and some take their time. One of my does usually builds her nest starting when she has only been bred a week and takes her time at it. You can be almost certain they're ready though when the hair pulling starts.

Well, mine pulled a little fur Saturday night, the box had been used as a good place to sleep until then. This morning b4 I left for work, I checked and -- Houston, we had ignition - there were two kickin squirmin little ones. I checked them again this evening when I got home and there was a third in the very front of the box that i had missed and it was dead. It was still limp, so I tried to warm it to see if it could be revived, but no go. I felt kind of bad, because if I checked a little more thoroughly this morning, I might have been able to revive it. Then again, it may have been born after I'd left -- who's to say. So goes my rabbit adventure -- so far, 5 breedings, 4 live, 5 dead. Maye, my chocolate tan is due either tonight or tomorrow.

Lastfling, sorry about your loss on the third guy- but he probably climbed out and got cold, really makes no difference if you'd seen it this morning. At least you have 2, and she should have ample milk. Hope you have better luck with your little tan when her time comes. Maybe she'll have lots and you can foster to the other doe. Fingers crossed for you!

Well Maye, my Chocolate Tan kindled this morning. There was a mountain of fur in the next when I checked before going to work. Digging into it the first thing I came across was a dead one - bummer, but in the back were 4 others alive and kicking, or so I thought. This evening as I was feeding and had more time to thoroughly inspect everybody, I discovered not 4, but 5 new ones. I had to count several times to be sure. So after everybody kindled on time for once, I currently have 7 little tan kits - 2 to one mama and 5 to the other. :D

I am glad to hear other does start nesting early too. Here is Buttercup on day 20. She gathered every bit of hay she could find in her cage and just sat there until I put in the nestbox. She is due this Friday. She has arranged the box at least 3 times and pulled fur twice. This must be some litter she is expecting. :yes: gallery/image.php?album_id=74&image_id=573
Better Nests and Hutches needs to do a cover on her work. :D

mamasheepdog, what are the round black bins in the picture? Are those nestboxes? they look interesting.

I always love to see/hear what people use for their rabbits. Someone on BYC had made feeders from two of the 'big' tin cans. So cool.

Latest posts

Back