Honey Bees?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been hinting at the wife about getting some honeybees. I've never done it or had any experience with them other then watching my grandfather many many moons ago. I'm super excited to get them but I have a lot more research and a few backyard modifications to do first.

Ole Mule":uer1b912 said:
am not in it for the honey or the money. I just want to move some up my way and see if I can help populate this area with bees. I think I will just hive them in TBH and if I can get some swarms off them each year I know where a few trees are I can establish some bee trees in. I have been watching the two bee trees for a few years and decided I just might get lucky and catch a swarm in a swarm trap well I did better than expected I got two I want them to settle in before I move them. I have been checking on the traps since setting them out and was surprised to see bees in them. They are on private property in the country so they will be somewhat safe from many people seeing them. Needless to say I am excited about these bees I know a little on splitting a hive and queen rearing. So luck may be on my side.
I love this. Please keep us posted on how they do!

We plan to start with bees next year, since our garden bed are getting more plentiful and we just put in a bunch of fruit trees and such. Just reading and researching at the moment. I have a local friend or two that keep bees so lots of mentor opportunities.

It's legal for me to keep them, but I don't like honey and I'm a bit afraid of them.
But if someone gets started I'd like to buy some beeswax from you :)

skysthelimit":3rylxc55 said:
It's legal for me to keep them, but I don't like honey and I'm a bit afraid of them.

We have beeswax for sale at .60/oz
Not sure the shipping would be worth it for you though?

We also have honey 'in the comb' available

Syberchick70":2ok4xplo said:
skysthelimit":2ok4xplo said:

Beeswax at the craft store is $17/lb plus $5-6 gas, at the wholesale soap it's $8.99/lb plus 8-10 shipping, eBay $1.99/ oz plus shipping, getting it from a person instead of a company is worth it.

skysthelimit":huja90sc said:
Syberchick70":huja90sc said:
skysthelimit":huja90sc said:

Beeswax at the craft store is $17/lb plus $5-6 gas, at the wholesale soap it's $8.99/lb plus 8-10 shipping, eBay $1.99/ oz plus shipping, getting it from a person instead of a company is worth it.

Yeah, ours comes out to almost $10/lb, not sure what the shipping would be, but we might be willing to give you a good deal if you take it all. We don't have a ton of it, not sure how many pounds, but it would be helpful to get it off the shelves.

If you find yourself having to travel down this direction, you could pick it up and save on shipping, but I think the gas would cost you more. :p

Syberchick70":uvllccb8 said:
skysthelimit":uvllccb8 said:

Yeah, ours comes out to almost $10/lb, not sure what the shipping would be, but we might be willing to give you a good deal if you take it all. We don't have a ton of it, not sure how many pounds, but it would be helpful to get it off the shelves.

If you find yourself having to travel down this direction, you could pick it up and save on shipping, but I think the gas would cost you more. :p

Nope, lol. I never travel further than an hour or two from home. My vehicle might get there, but it won't make it back!
Let me know by PM for lbs, because I have to have it shipped no matter where I get it.

skysthelimit":dqetyunm said:
Syberchick70":dqetyunm said:
skysthelimit":dqetyunm said:

Nope, lol. I never travel further than an hour or two from home. My vehicle might get there, but it won't make it back!
Let me know by PM for lbs, because I have to have it shipped no matter where I get it.

PM sent :)

Marinea":21ks5r71 said:
Oh, forgot to add- check this out:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive

Honey on tap. Very cool idea.
Oh, believe me, I've been watching that VERY closely since before they kicked it off! I want some of those Flow Frames in the worst way, but right now can't swing it. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:50 pm __________ <br /><br />
wamplercathy":21ks5r71 said:
Marinea":21ks5r71 said:
Oh, forgot to add- check this out:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flow-hive-honey-on-tap-directly-from-your-beehive

Honey on tap. Very cool idea.

That is amazing. Has anyone here tried it? If it really works I just might start my own hive.

They are just in the early stages of production (the Indiegogo campaign was originally just to cover startup costs), and most aren't going to be delivered until December. Only the ones who tested them prior to release have them.

Latest posts

Back