Homemade Gambrel

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
After looking online and seeing crazy expensive rabbit gambrels, I figured I could make one on my own for much cheaper. I saw some chain gambrels for upwards of $45.00.

I didn't need a gambrel until now, but I have some older rabbits that are to be processed. I did one last night and decided that I'd wait until I had something that would make skinning easier. So here it is...

image.php

The dark things behind it on the top are magnets, which are holding it up for the picture.

It's made of two 26 inch dog choke collars.

The top is held together by a 1/8 inch stainless quick link.

The stabilizing bar is made of two 4 inch long machine screws , held together by a long nut that I removed from a 1/8 inch quick link and two regular nuts to lock the long nut into place. The chain is held to the screws with two nuts on each side, which lock each other.

Total cost was $5.91. :)

Wow! A gambrel sure does take the labor out of processing rabbits.

I had to add another stabilizing bar about 2 or so inches lower than the other one because the chain length was too long. Adding another bar was faster and easier than moving the existing one. It didn't add to the cost, since I had extra screws and stuff laying around.

I also used grumpy's method of keeping tension on the rabbit so it didn't flop around. Nice tip, grumpy!

I still used the steel pipe to the back of the head method. I kept a loop open and ready by hanging the chain loop on a screw, then putting one foot into the loop after the head bop. Putting tension on the rabbit from the foot to the head for a few seconds seemed to lessen the bruising on the shoulders. They came out pretty clean.

These were older rabbits, so maybe the pelts can be tanned.

No sense in spending an arm and a leg for something so simple
and easily made. I've got 5 or 6 gambrels hanging around the
shop that I used when trapping.

One pic shows the gambrel and two spots for lag-bolts with
chains I used when skinning raccoon. Took all of the heavy work
out of the job. The second shows my hoist that I use to adjust
the height so I can sit on my fanny and work.

Less than a buck-fifty in one of these handy little deals.

Photo0014.jpg

Photo0029.jpg

I like them both, but may have to go for grumpy's since I have all the material to make it here already.

How wide of a spacer do you use?

I don't have the tools to work with chain effectively here, and no decent hardware store either, so I made one similar to grumpy's but rather than metal chain, mine is out of good nylon cording that I braided to several thicknesses worth for extra strength, and looped through drilled holes in a piece of old stair handrail (cos that's what I had spare), then hammered closed two S-hooks through the loops. It doesn't look too pretty but it works very well and all it cost me was the cord (and a trip to my parents' to borrow their drill!)

My spacer bar is about the length of my forearm, maybe a bit longer. I'll try to remember and take a picture in the light.

Latest posts

Back