Homemade Bread

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kotapony

Reaction score
Anyone here bake their own bread? Since hubby can no longer eat preservatives we've been making all our own bread, but have yet to find a recipe we really like. We're trying to end up with a bread that's fluffy in the middle with a soft crust, but not too crumbly as we use it for sandwiches. 

We do run under the restriction of having to use whole wheat flour (nothing enriched), very little vegetable oil (preferably none; butter or lard is fine) and no white sugar (honey or some other substitute is ok).

We're gaining on getting a crust we're happy with, but haven't managed to get a nice fluffy inside yet. I just wondered if there were any more experienced bread makers here with any tips to share. :)

Honey might work. We have also been experimenting with agave nectar. That's been the hardest part - we have to change recipes slightly most of the time and are still learning exactly how our altered ingredients change the bread. I'd be interested in trying your recipe if you're willing to share it. :)

I bake all my own bread but I use a bread machine. It's easier to just toss in the ingredients and turn it on, then forget it. I use only the basic recipe but I get exactly the kind of bread you described by setting it on white light crust even when I'm using whole wheat flour. You have to remember though that using 100% whole wheat flour you are not going to get fluffy bread. You have to use at least 1/4 white flour (I use half white and half wheat). You have to have some sort of sugar for the yeast to feed on. Part honey and part molasses might do the trick.
My recipe is 1 oz olive oil, 1/2 cup warm water, 1 1/2 cups flour, pinch of salt, sugar (you'll have to experiment if you use honey and molasses to get the right amound) and dry yeast. I find the yeast for bread machines or the regular yeast makes no difference.

Latest posts

Back