Homemade 4 Hole Transport Cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I finished my first cage!
IMG_5124.JPG

Doors partway open:
IMG_5127.JPG

Spring closures added to doors:
IMG_5130.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5129.JPG
    IMG_5129.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,840
The holes are 8" x 18" just like the 2-holes I bought from Bass. I am going to put cardboard on the 3 center dividers temporarily until I can buy either galv. metal sheets, or plastic similar to formica to prevent them from chewing or soiling one another.

MamaSheepdog":1x4nvtso said:
The holes are 8" x 18" just like the 2-holes I bought from Bass. I am going to put cardboard on the 3 center dividers temporarily until I can buy either galv. metal sheets, or plastic similar to formica to prevent them from chewing or soiling one another.

You can get a sheet of PolyWall at the hardware store and cut that to put in between. It is what we use to separate cages and all sorts of other things...

I just don't like how you need to open one door just to open the door next to it...

When you lift one door the other rides up a bit and falls shut immediately.

Very nice. Where did you get the tub?
I need to work on some carrying cages too. :)
I looked at Bass and they weren't all that expensive but I'm afraid that shipping would be big.

Shipping not to bad, but I've been told the wire is not much better than what I'm using to make cages anyway, so it seems most would be better making their own instead of buying from Bass.

The tub is a large concrete mixing tub from Home Depot. Lowe's had some too, but they weren't as well made, and they cost slightly more. I got the wire from a local independent feed store. The springs came from a bolt shop. (I know... bolt shop??? Bakersfield is a big oil town, and they are all over the place. I bet Jack sees them too.)

Bass sells the 2 hole carrier with plastic tray for $28.10, my total cost is $42.00 for 4 holes. I'm saving $14 plus shipping, and my trays are deeper and more durable. The plastic they use is already becoming brittle.

They are time consuming to make, but it would go a lot faster if I weren't so picky- every cut wire is being bent over, with the exception of the door edges that meet in the middle of the cage lid. All bent wire is on the outside of the cages so if anyone gets cut it will be me and not a bunny.

my first thought was "that is way to small to fit one rabbit no way 4" then i looked again and realized you were transporting rabbits. It looks really good i need to make a singel transporter so i have something to carry buns in to the vet. that looks like it might work in a smaller scale and how do you carry it and how do you secure the wire to the tub and make the wire stay where it is

The wire cage is wedged into the pan pretty tightly, and the tray itself is very light, so it probably wouldn't fall off, but I do have springs on the sides to hold the tray to the cage. There are no carrying handles on it yet, and may never be. I have a crate cart so I can roll the cages to my location, and I can pick the whole thing up by the wire or by using the tub itself.

pastelsummer":1qfcas7p said:
is that a cat in the background of the first picture?

Oops- didn't notice him there! Yes, that is our cat "Jigsaw". All of the animals were very interested in the new cage, esp. my JRT.

The wire floor is a good 5"-6" above the bottom of the pan so there is lots of room for bedding.

Latest posts

Back