Home made rabbit blocks?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMR

Reaction score
Has any one thought about using a coffee bean grinder to make rabbit blocks like feed blocks? Any idea/thoughts on how much nutrient value would actually be destroyed during baking? Its just some thing I was thinking about to give a little more chewable toy's and entertainment. Ingredients for such would be rabbit safe foods of course. Whole wheat flour with a touch of powder would be used in the mixture to help set it up for baking.

SMR":divo18ke said:
Any idea/thoughts on how much nutrient value would actually be destroyed during baking?

I have been wondering the same thing myself. I bought flax seed and bird seed to add to the herd's diet, but don't have crocks to feed it in and it will just fall through my existing feeders. I would like to make some type of feed cake with salt and minerals added. My ingredient ideas include lentil paste (Hoodat fed some cooked lentils to his rabbits with no ill effects), oats, and barley in addition to the seeds.

I was hoping to be able to cook it at a very low heat (200 to 225 degrees)to preserve the nutrient values.

One of our original members, AnnTann, used to make rabbit treats with pellet fines, oatmeal, molasses, and whatever. Maybe BOSS. She baked them at low heat. She said they made her house smell terrible while they were baking, but the rabbits loved them!

Might be able to find her thread on it... or maybe it's at HT... :thinking:

I remember reading that thread. I think it was the fines that made the house reek. She (or someone) said to keep the recipe simple and the rabbits liked it better. In other words, don't make a shredded carrot, banana, applesauce treat.

Back