Holy huge litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMeal

Reaction score
Last night was a rough evening. My Momma rabbit Beauty went into heat distress and I was worried she might die. After an hour with her and another pregnant bun I got both of them cooled down. They were both due by Tomorrow.

Beauty had her litter tonight of 15 kits! This is only her 2nd litter. Last litter she had 12. When I started counting I was like how many are there. I was like holy cow you had 15 no wonder you were in distress last night.

She is a NZ/Holland Lop. She is a good mom. When I put the nest box back after checking the kits she gets in the nest box like she is counting the kits to make sure they are all there.

my girl triscuit raised 15 kits, I culled out two since they were runty and not worth growing out... so end result was 13 at five weeks of age weaned.

:congratulations: That is awesome that she had so many kits - glad that she is doing better now! It sounds like she is a great mama!

HoppyMeal":20wzjdkh said:
Last night was a rough evening. My Momma rabbit Beauty went into heat distress and I was worried she might die. After an hour with her and another pregnant bun I got both of them cooled down. They were both due by Tomorrow.

Beauty had her litter tonight of 15 kits! This is only her 2nd litter. Last litter she had 12. When I started counting I was like how many are there. I was like holy cow you had 15 no wonder you were in distress last night.

Wow congrats!!! The largest litter I have had was 9 so far. What kind of buck did you breed her to? I have found that the number of kits is determined by the buck, not the doe.

~SDR

I bred her to A NZ White. Which was raised out of my stock. He is a young buck. When I breed my does I put them in with the buck and leave them in there for at least 5-10 minutes and depending on the buck he may breed them up to 3 times. Then 8 hours later when the eggs start to fall I put the doe back in with the buck for another round of 5-10 minutes.

I have 4 bucks and after I use them, I won't use that buck again till 4 days later. I have 9 does, 8 of them being young does. 4 of them are on their 2nd litters all having 10-15. 3 of them on 1st litters all having 10. 1 more due any day. 1 has small litters usually up to 5. I only keep her because she produces huge kits and I foster others on her. Her 2nd litter produced 3, but at 1 week they weighed 1lb. (2 does and 1 buck). I kept all 3. I currently have kits on all 8 does and waiting on 1 more litter.

Hi

What breed are your does and bucks ?
Congrats on the large litters. :)

__________ Fri May 09, 2014 6:03 am __________

SilverDesertRabbitry":1aws5zod said:
The largest litter I have had was 9 so far. What kind of buck did you breed her to? I have found that the number of kits is determined by the buck, not the doe.
~SDR

The doe makes the eggs. The buck fertilizes them.

The main buck that is the father of 7 of these does is a NZ cross, but The lady I got him from could not remember what he was crossed (mother was NZ and 6 of the 7 were out of the same litter). There were 12 rabbits in that litter. Buckis the father of one of my 4 bucks. the main buck (Buck is his name) looks like a wild bunny in color. 2 of the does father was a Holland Lop and the mother was a NZ. He got sick and died last year. The other 2 bucks are a NZ and a Cali. The other remaining Doe that has huge kits is a NZ White.

Latest posts

Back