Holland lop kit color

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysthelimit

Reaction score
I know two are black torts, one is a broken black tort, and guess on the other two?

108_2511.jpg

108_2510.jpg

see how light they are compared to the torts?

108_2502.jpg

108_2513.jpg

Nope. they look like Siamese kittens.

Is that a rabbit hide they are lying on?

MamaSheepdog":1zzxeppb said:
Nope. they look like Siamese kittens.

Is that a rabbit hide they are lying on?

sable point, and siamese sable are in the pedigree, and dilute as well.

Yes that is a hide from one of my first rabbits. Tanned with alum.

I was going to guess Siamese Sable but had no idea if HL's came in that color... and it's just a wild guess on my part since I've never seen a kit or full grown one in person. Based on Siamese cat colors, baby Cals always look like they will be blue-points to me, not seal.

They do. Why is it that sables start out blue? As I mentioned previously, the Cals do it too. I think I would go insane trying to figure colors out if they kept changing on me!

What colours are the parents? They look like sable points or chocolate/lilac torts.. its hard to tell the pic is a little blurry. ITs always easier to pick the colour based on what the parents are and if that doesn't help then try to determine what the parents can carry for recessives.

Devon's Mom Lauren":2e79350i said:
What colours are the parents? They look like sable points or chocolate/lilac torts.. its hard to tell the pic is a little blurry. ITs always easier to pick the colour based on what the parents are and if that doesn't help then try to determine what the parents can carry for recessives.

---------------------------------------pointed white
-------------------------smoked pearl
---------------------------------------siamese sable
sire broken tortoiseshell
---------------------------------------broken sable point
--------------------------broken black
---------------------------------------black

---------------------------------------otter (blue tort otter)
-----------------------tort
---------------------------------------otter
dam black tort
---------------------------------------tort
-----------------------opal
---------------------------------------tort

Ok, they are most probably sable points.They are torts that just got the chin genes from their granddaddy and great grandparents. However both otters on the dam's sire's side must have been tort otters? They would both need the non extension to make the tort granddad.. They also must both have a self gene with no tan mods. because he didn't get one! lol The dam's mother could not have been Opal from 2 torts... torts are selfs and can't throw an agouti.. The odds look really low for the kits to be chocolate though, unless some of the torts are actually chocolate torts and not black/blue torts. :) Both parents could possibly carry dilute though, so its always possible that the chocolate gene could be present on both sides further back and have combined randomly at this time to make lilac... fat lot of help I guess that was lol!! I would say sable point first and if they seem to change or don't quite fit the label further on then back to the drawing board I guess! :pancake: :pancake:

Devon's Mom Lauren":2w68xqad said:
Ok, they are most probably sable points.They are torts that just got the chin genes from their granddaddy and great grandparents. However both otters on the dam's sire's side must have been tort otters? They would both need the non extension to make the tort granddad.. They also must both have a self gene with no tan mods. because he didn't get one! lol The dam's mother could not have been Opal from 2 torts... torts are selfs and can't throw an agouti.. The odds look really low for the kits to be chocolate though, unless some of the torts are actually chocolate torts and not black/blue torts. :) Both parents could possibly carry dilute though, so its always possible that the chocolate gene could be present on both sides further back and have combined randomly at this time to make lilac... fat lot of help I guess that was lol!! I would say sable point first and if they seem to change or don't quite fit the label further on then back to the drawing board I guess! :pancake: :pancake:

Yes there is a tort otter from a blue otter tort breeding.

I wish I could consult the breeder about the opal. Since Rex has no showable tort, I did not have a clear understanding of how the color is expressed, I'm really trying to learn about the shaded colors, so I can work with my Mini Rex and hollands, where tort is a popular color. I'm guessing the opal is really a blue? Got a pict of her from the website.

In a few days I'll post more picts.

__________ Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 pm __________

Ok so they are more like fawn, definitely not as dark as the black tort. what is the dilute of the black tort? I don't think they are sable points anymore. Thinking blue tort.

I though so too, but at 7 days they still look fawn. They look nothing like the 8 day old sable point kit on this page.
http://www.gbfarm.org/rabbit/holland-co ... aded.shtml, sable point first pict. This kit looks like a cream.

My kits look like the fawn on the blue tort at the bottom.<br /><br />__________ Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am __________<br /><br />
108_2537.jpg

108_2544.jpg

108_2546.jpg

Back