Hind end weakness in adult rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerbunny

Reaction score
Last week one of my Holland Lop does started getting urine scald, she had been losing weight lately (which I attributed to leaving one of her babies in her as a cagemate and separated them) She ended up getting flystrike, which I feel awful about but I hadn't been checking her as diligently as I should have because of cooler temperatures. I treated her successfully but it has been a couple days and her back legs are sticking out kind of sideways even though she is still hopping around, she is still losing weight despite having a good appetite. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Sorry, I have no suggestions based on what you have told us. If you would tell us what you are feeding her and what her poops are like, that may give us a clue to what you need to try.

poop looks normal, possibly occasionally more dark brown squishy ones but she might not be cleaning those up. She's getting same diet as the rest of the herd, high quality pellets, whole oats, grass/alfalfa hay with flax and herbs (raspberry, plantain, mulberry, dandelion) as supplemental. The rest of my 30+ rabbits are fine. She's 3 years old, so not aged either.

I'm stumped, it's always something, isn't it.

Her diet sounds more than adequate. :)

Just a thought, but she may have internal parasites. I've never had to treat a rabbit for worms (they tend to be less of a problem this far north) but I'm sure there is information in the Illnesses, Injuries and Parasites forum. Try a search using the search bar in the sidebar at right.

Thinking it over, I wonder if she is holding her hind legs apart because of the urine-irritated skin. Chafing hurts! That's a bit of a wild guess, but it is something to consider.

The darker, sticky poop sounds like cecotropes and not something to worry about.

That's a good guess, Maggie. If she still has irritated skin you could dust it with cornstarch: eases the burning feeling, sticks better than baby powder but doesn't stop air circulation like oil, and won't hurt her if she licks it. It could help with the irritation, even if it's something else going on.

She's gained some weight and seems happier, but hind legs are still poking out at a weird angle, I'm thinking she might have sustained an injury to her back somehow and the other issues were caused by her lack of mobility.

Back