Himi/sable point/REW gene questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dood":2ynw9mkn said:
If I use otters won't I get tan-patterned himis?
The markings of the Tan series (at_) can often be masked by genes on other loci, and I trust the other forum members experiences and advice. I believe the important part is that otters are full extension(E_), not chin or shaded and are not agouti.

This is my favorite rabbit genotype website and I reference to it alot to keep on track.
http://www.nockrabbits.com/coat_colors1.html

Absolutely. When I got my himi and seal I was told to do that, and it seemed odd to me too. But as Dood says, otter is masked by agouti, and a himi can be an agouti, so it will be dominant over the otter, and if the otter has REW, then you will get the himi expressed (as opposed to a carrier). Same with the black. I am very fortunate that all of my otters carry REW, so this will be a one step process for me.

If your himi is a self, then you will get otters that carry himi, bred them together.

I thought it would be hard to tell the black from the seal, but when they are side by side, it's not too hard. The seal has a brown tinge to the coat, that comes out with a camera flash, while the base coat for a black is slate gray.

I think that my black carries shaded because her Grandmother carries it and there are no himi/REWs in the pedigree. Of course, that wouldn't mean much, but I never see those colors from those lines so it seems more likely that she is carrying chl to me. The buck has a sable point mom, so I'm assuming that he is carrying chl.

Interesting points on the otters. I'll keep that in mind.

Do the babies have a brown-ish cast to them? If so it probably wouldn't be hard to distinguish between the two.

Hey I just found this old thread, and wanted to resurrect it and say hi, since My rabbitry/pointed white Holland Lop color project was mentioned.... I would be happy to share my experiences and observations (I have lots of photos and am a color genetics nerd including genotyping everything possible) with breeding pointed white Hollands over the past 4 years or so.

Latest posts

Back