High Protin Diet for Breeders?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyPocket

Reaction score
Hello everybunny.

I am planning on breeding my doe in about a month and a half, so I guess it's the time to start researching about it. Seems like there is not much information online on what to feed to breeding does. So, is there anything you do to increase their health and help them prepare for the breeding? I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance and have nice rest of the day.

-Marko

I do not feed an extra high protein diet, but if a doe has a large litter I do like to give her some black oil sunflower seeds to help increase the fat and maybe protein content of her milk. If kits seem smaller than I'd like, I give some additional oatmeal.

Some people change the Doe over to 18% protein feed a week before she is due. I do like Zass though and have pretty good luck. Mine stay on 16% and I supplement with rolled oats and BOS.

Everybunny but the lionhead gets 16% here, too. I just feel spines and watch coat for condition. I give BOSS and/or oats if a doe seems a bit on the slim side.

You don't feed pellets, right? So it wouldn't be too difficult for you to slightly increase the amount of a higher protein grain that she is already getting if you are worried about it.

Zass":h7g4n0o1 said:
You don't feed pellets, right? So it wouldn't be too difficult for you to slightly increase the amount of a higher protein grain that she is already getting if you are worried about it.

What would it mean if had fed pellets? Would it affect the rabbits reaction to a higher protein diet?

The rabbits condition at breeding is important, if she is already on the plump side, don't increase her feed intake, [and IMHO] her protein either.[breeding a fat rabbit is a problem waiting for a place to happen] if she is fat -cut her pellet ration to 1/8 cup / day, and feed timothy hay free choice until she is a healthy weight. [then proceed as for a "normal weight" rabbit]
--
If she is normal or on the thin side, increasing her energy, [and protein ,if on a lower protein diet] a week prior to breeding ,will increase fertility [litter size and viability of fetus ]
When milking, the energy content of the food [fat and carbs] are more important then feeding more then a 16 % protein ration, [as mentioned above BOSS is a great way to safely increase both energy and protein]

Gearmpr":1ssuzbl5 said:
Zass":1ssuzbl5 said:

What would it mean if had fed pellets? Would it affect the rabbits reaction to a higher protein diet?
It would just be a different method of increasing protein. You would add a little of something like calf manna, or you'd change them to a higher protein pellet.

Gearmpr":5lrxnzru said:
Zass":5lrxnzru said:

Switching brands of pellets near the end of a pregnancy just sounds like trouble to me. Even switching to a different variety of the same brand can cause a digestive upset in some cases. (I have had it happen!)
If the doe is already getting a grain mixture instead of pellets, it's easier to give her just a bit more of certain grains that she is already accustomed to.

(edited for typo's...like everything else I post)

ILSMarki8":13fk6972 said:
Hello everybunny.

I am planning on breeding my doe in about a month and a half, so I guess it's the time to start researching about it. Seems like there is not much information online on what to feed to breeding does. So, is there anything you do to increase their health and help them prepare for the breeding? I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance and have nice rest of the day.

-Marko

so-- what are you feeding now ?

michaels4gardens":2nuxz2rr said:
ILSMarki8":2nuxz2rr said:
Hello everybunny.

-Marko

so-- what are you feeding now ?

We currently feed 1/2 triticale (sometimes mixed with wheat), 1/4 corn and 1/4 pellets (14% protein + 15% fiber).

IMHO - the only thing I don't like in rabbit diets is corn, [but most pellet rations in the US are full of it. ],-but maybe your corn is not the same as our GMO corn in the US.-- if the rabbit looks good, [not too fat or too skinny, nice coat, bright eyes, etc.] it must be working for you. I assume she gets hay, if not she should, hay will make up the fiber requirements lacking in your feed.

Latest posts

Back