He's Here! (at last...) UPDATE: PHOTO!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogCatMom

Reaction score
Well, at last I have a rabbit! I adopted him yesterday, September 28 (Saturday), in Sacramento. He's either an American or Giant Chinchilla, gray with some white undercoat when I pet the coat backwards, and very sweet: he was eating hay from my hands very gently at the "adoption event" and later here at the house. I also offered him freshly picked parsley here at home and it was fun to watch him make it disappear--DH said it was like watching paper disappear into a shredder. :)

He loves being brushed; hates having his nails clipped--I assisted with the nail clipping yesterday afternoon.

He was originally identified on the Sacramento Animal Shelter's website as "Flemish Giant," my #2 breed (after Angoras), so he caught my eye. When I found out he wasn't a Flemish, I thought, "Well, let's see what his personality is; the veggies are getting ahead of me and I need the bunny compost NOW." So...I may still be looking for an FG. I think, if I get both of them fairly close together, they'll be new to the same territory? He's also just been in one room of the house. If he and the hypothetical FG don't get along, well...they'll just have to have separate free time in the garden and separate living quarters. C'est la vie.

I'm not sure of Chinchilla's weight yet, which is why I'm not sure which variety of Chinchilla rabbit he may be, if he's a purebred at all. He despises being picked up, so my usual "approximating" method of weighing cats won't work: I stand on the scale and get A Number. I hold the animal and get A New Number. The difference, within a pound, is The Animal's Weight. If I need an exact weight, I drive the animal to the vet in a carrier and let the vet techs do it.

Right now, Rabbit is happy in an ex-pen wrapped around a table in my home office. The floor of the ex-pen is bed pads, the kind used for ill people who sweat through their bedclothes (nightgown, pajamas) or have other problems. I amassed quite a collection of these, what with my own surgeries and Dearly Beloved Dog's surgeries (two TPLOs and Wobbler's Syndrome) over the past few years. There's also a litter box with newspaper and hay in it. He seems to be using the box sometimes and the pads the rest of the time. There may be a favorite corner that the box should go into; I'll try it this afternoon, after I buy a shorter ex-pen that fits under the table.

No cage as of now; will hit people up on FreeCycle and see if I get lucky! But first, gotta get a weight on this guy. (And get DH to upload a photo.)

And think of a name. I'm hoping he'll give me clues....these are the clues I have so far:

Konyn, konynje = rabbit, rabbit-ling (Dutch)
Kanin, Kaninchen = rabbit, rabbit-ling (German)
Conejo, conejito = rabbit, little rabbit (Spanish)
Bunny, Rabbit, BunBun, BunRab, etc.
Gray, soft, sweet, gentle, chowhound, hay-fiend, veggie shredder, etc.

I need to see whether he'll accept a walking harness. I have arugula and chard plants that went to seed and now have TONS of new plants popping up everywhere. These are his "assignment." They'll take him a couple of weeks, by which time my fall veggies should be coming in. I'll walk him on my cat-leash and his harness (this style) and we'll hang out in the veggie box until he's eaten approx. a meal's worth of chard and/or arugula (same raised bed). Then back into the house for his well-earned nap! :D

:congratulations:

I can tell you are excited and happy about your new fur-kid. :D

Pressed for time at the moment, but just a couple of points.

Make sure the bun can't chew your table legs... because he will if he can get at them. As for the harness, let him wear it for short periods in his pen before trying to attach the leash. It should make it go more smoothly.

Congrats!!!!!! :D I know he's a lucky bunny! :)

Pictures when you get a chance!!! ;)

Uhm, for names...maybe Payne? As in Payne's Gray? ;) Davy, as in Davy's Gray? :D Ash, as in Ash Gray?

I dunno, I like Payne. :) According to Wiki: "The colour is named after William Payne, who painted watercolours in the late 18th century." :D

MaggieJ":2tq6qxdo said:

I can tell you are excited and happy about your new fur-kid. :D

Pressed for time at the moment, but just a couple of points.

Make sure the bun can't chew your table legs... because he will if he can get at them. As for the harness, let him wear it for short periods in his pen before trying to attach the leash. It should make it go more smoothly.

Yes, he's quite the sweet bunny! :D

re. table legs: We lucked out last night! The 42" tall ex-pen perforce needed to be outside the table legs. They may have been too large in diameter (round legs) for him to grasp w/his teeth, b/c I didn't find any marks on them today. This afternoon I purchased a 24" tall ex-pen which fits, just barely, under the table's overhang and inside the legs. :) The table is saved. *whew*

re. wearing harness in the pen first: Good idea; thank you! If he doesn't like this style of harness after a few tries, I'll go to the more vest/jacket type and see how that works. My hope is that he can have outside time in the veggie patch under my v-e-r-y close supervision. Not everything I grow is healthy for bunnies, e.g., broccoli, broccoli raab (aka rabe, rapini), and the like.

While DH and I were changing the ex-pens and cleaning up in general this afternoon, Mr. Dog sauntered into the office despite my instructions to him, in both of "his" languages. He made a complete circuit around the table/ex-pen arrangement; then I got him by the harness and...ah..."encouraged" him out of the room. Mr. Rabbit was stunned by this large animal, but not afraid. He held his position in the pen, not backing up. He went onto his back feet, I suppose to get a better look at this giant? And went back down on all fours as I got the dog out the door. :) Still no direct contact btw cats and Rabbit. I'd like that to wait until after the harness experience.

Congratulations on the bunny! I'm so glad you rescued him! Thats sweet! I like Payne too but another suggestion is Grayson.<br /><br />__________ Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:03 pm __________<br /><br />:)

giant chins are much like flemish.

standard chins are more like new zealands.

Is he used to greens? are you going to wean him over gradually to prevent tummy upset?

Here he is. Unbeknownst to me, DH took a candid of him yesterday right after I had set up the litter box (shredded newspaper + hay on top). Fortunately, Rabbit sat in a semi-pose in the box.

Still no weight; the rabbit-savvy vet's hours are Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7:30 to noon. How's them apples?!

("Big Daddy" was his go-by at the rescue; he was THE buck for the entire operation. Most of the other rabbits were his offspring. There were several of them available for adoption yesterday; three of them were almost twins--Mom looked like a New Zealand (solid white/straight ears), the offspring looked just like Dad.

Attachments

• Big Daddy 1.jpg
    Big Daddy 1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 562
Oh, what a handsome, handsome fellow he is!!!

***Swoon!***

Do be cautious with his introduction to the fresh garden greens. What I like to do when first turning our horses onto spring grass, and more recently transitioning rabbits to fresh feed, is to give them a breakfast of hay first. Once they have taken the edge off of their hunger, I will then offer greens. In the case of the horses, we will take them out on their lead ropes and let them graze for about 10 minutes the first day, 15 the next, 25 the next, until we are leaving them out for an hour, then two, then all day. The rabbits just get a bit more greenery each day, sometimes split into several feedings.

As for names, since he is going to be your gardening assistant, I thought a garden themed name might be nice.

*Warning: window into the convoluted inner workings of my mind follows*

My sense of humor can be rather politically incorrect at times :oops: , so I first thought a Hispanic name would be amusing due to the ethnicity of the majority of gardeners in our lovely state. Then I thought maybe a Japanese name, since Japanese gardeners are so meticulous and skilled, and I know he will carefully select only the choicest morsels for judicious pruning...

Since both those options might be offensive to people not sharing my twisted wit, I allowed my mind to wander further down the garden path.

Herb, short for "Herbicide" occurred to me, since he will be your organic weed control...

But the fact that he was THE buck at the rescue would not be denied, so finally "Rake" came to mind as being apropos. :mrgreen:

*Firmly shuts pages of mind so as not to offend anyone further*

Latest posts

Back