help?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boundarybunnyco

Reaction score
I have a problem. I have a 19 day old kit that has issues in its vent area. The area is swollen and sore looking, and when I try to get a look, the inner part is very red. I can't tell if the kit is male or female. When I pick it up and start poking around down there, it always dribbles lots of urine, which is cloudy white colored. Can you all tell me what's wrong, and what to do? All of the other kits look fine in their "areas"

Sounds like it somehow got an infection. Maybe up in to the urinary tract given the cloudy urine. I'd just cull but if you want to you can pay for the antibiotics to treat it. This site gives dosages for various meds and you can see what's available in your feed store.http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html
You will have to calculate a solution and syringe by mouth or inject whatever it is based on the concentration not just the amount given by the website. Otherwise a vet will do it all for you for about 10 times the cost.

I'd like to treat it and see if I can get it better. It's one of my first litter of Silver Fox kits. I really don't want to just give up on it. Would tetracycline hydrachloride work?

Without culturing the bacteria causing the problem there's no way to know what antibiotic to use. Broad spectrum tetracyclines are as good of place as any to start.

For the sore areas, see if you can find Calmoseptine at the drug store. It's a diaper rash cream that is usually behind the pharmacists counter. Put a dab of that on the red area. It's a wonder cream.

Latest posts

Back